[Healeys] Rust removal analysis (long)

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Rust removal analysis (long)
From: Tadeusz Malkiewicz <tadeusz.malkiewicz@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:00:20 +0200
Hello,

I have plenty of surface rust I need to get rid of on my xk. I have taken a
look at various posts and have found the following:

I MEDIA BLASTING
=================
1. Sand blasting
A fairly dangerous method, as generating heat, may warp the panels. I do not
think it would be recommended especially on long XK panels. A very good idea
for the chassis though.

2. Soda blasting
Great for removing paint & (very) light rust. It does not heat the surface,
so it is safe on the outer panels. But, it does not remove rust either.

3. Other media blasting
Other possibilities are there, walnut, ice, glass, pellets but to be honest
not quite available to me.

II CHEMICAL DIPPING
===================
I have read several articles regarding dipping the car in acid (type?) but
unfortunately, none that I know of are available around here.
I do believe though this could be a very good idea.

III MECHANICAL REMOVAL
======================
Just like sand blasting, it does generate heat.  There are various tools
available though that cause less heat, like the 3M blue strip. It does
remove paint and rust. Being round and suited for a drill, it will not reach
everywhere. Also, it might not penetrate deep surface rust.

IV CHEMICAL RUST TREATMENT
==========================
I have spent quite some time searching for various products, mainly in UK to
see what's available. It seems that the products are basically divided into
2 groups:
- rust stabilizers
- rust removers

1. Rust stabilizers
-------------------
The rust stabilizers do not remove rust - they encapsulate it, converting it
usually to blackish color, but do not remove it. Their base is usually
Phosphoric Acid. (Yes, same as in Coke, but the concentration is higher).
Most of them also contain some form of primer, in order to protect the
surface.
a. Jenolite, http://www.jenolite.com/
b. Rustbuster Fe-123 eg. http://www.rust.co.uk
c. Dinitrol RC-800 http://www.dinitrol.se
d. Hammerite Kurust http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/usage/ug_kurust.html
e. POR-15 Metal Ready http://www.canada-por15.com/faqs.html
f. Bilt Hammer Hydrate 80 http://www.bilthamber.com/
g. Corroseal rust converter http://www.corroseal.com/
h. Carprotech RX 5 http://www.caprotech.com
i. Performance Chemicals - Vactan
http://performance-chemicals.net/docs/vac8.jpg

2. Rust Removers
----------------
To be honest, I have not found many. A lot of people say that they do not
exist...
I have only located few companies that sell products as rust removers:
a. Dinnitrol's Annitrol http://www.dinitrol.se
b. Performance Chemicals http://performance-chemicals.net/acid.htm

I know Practical Classics published in UK a test on Rust Killers, but do not
have access to it. I know that Fe123 & Dinitrol scored high.

I would welcome all comments to this post - experiences with individual
products, other products or other methods of doing it right.

Tadek

PS.Rust prevention, not a tpc here, was covered by German Oldtimer Markt
Magazine test: http://tinyurl.com/3zvy8zj
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html