Re: [Healeys] Rust removal analysis (long)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rust removal analysis (long)
From: Kent McLean <kentmclean@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:12:21 -0400
Tadeusz Malkiewicz wrote:
> I have plenty of surface rust I need to get rid of on my xk. I have taken a
> look at various posts and have found the following:

(long list snipped)

Add:

Electrolysis:
<http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm>
<http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolysis.pdf>

For the metal frame, you can build a wooden frame lined with plastic that will
hold the metal frame submerged. One challenge is to make sure the electrodes
have direct line-of-sight view of all the hard-to-see nooks and crannies.
Another challenge is cleaning up the metal and protecting it after the rust is
removed.

I've tried it on smaller pieces and it works well.

--
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2