[Healeys] Black to Earth or to Positive

Subject: [Healeys] Black to Earth or to Positive
From: robertlarson at att.net (Bob)
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 22:25:16 -0400
Hi Patrick,

What you propose will work but DO NOT do it...   Can be a real hazard!!

If on the GPS if there is any metal part exposed that part is now the negative
lead as most all
devices that are for negative ground the shell is at ground.   So you do as you
want and the shell
hits any grounded part of your vehicle which is positive you will have created
dead short thru
the device and most likely no fuse in the path.

Aside from damage to the device there is a fire hazard!!!!

I do not have a Tom Tom GPS but a Garmin even though the case is plastic it has
an exposed
metal antenna and USB port.

Bob