[Healeys] Working on door gaps

Subject: [Healeys] Working on door gaps
From: csooch1 at aol.com (csooch1 at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 12:18:22 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I didn't realize this topic was going to stir up so much controversy.  I
appreciate the comments from Rich, Martin and the others.  I have one thing to
say about the Jule frame...if I had an extra $8K laying around, we wouldn't
even be talking about this since I would already own one.  That's not the case
though, so I am where I am.

If I can get through to the meaning here it is that the inner body panels
behind the shut pillar and rear seat frame surround all provide some support
for the car.  The sills, outriggers, floors and other components that were
rotted have all been replaced years ago when I first started.  I think what I
am hearing from Rich is that if I support the car where he suggests, and then
get the gaps right, there shouldn't be any further sag once I weld in the rest
of the pieces.  I think that the single biggest contributor to keeping the car
from sagging is the portion of the rear inner body panel that welds to the
sill.  It is that part that holds the rear of the car from pushing up, by
imparting that force down onto the sill, which is why when they rot the car
inevitably sags.  This is where I am.  How much beyond a perfect door gap
should I flex the frame before I weld in the inner body panel repair (from
Kilmartin)?  Some say none, others say 3/16".  I will tack everything lightly
and try it before I fully weld.

In general the main frame rails are in decent shape as are the bulkheads and
their connections to the frame rails.  It really is pretty close all things
considered, and as much as I know it will offend some folks here, this car was
never going to be concours, and that isn't what I want anyway.  I have always
been looking for a nice driver, that I can drive every day if I so choose,
without having to worry about a paint chip ruining a $5k paint job.

As to the safety comments from Martin, I am certain that he has only my best
interest at heart and has helped me in the past several times for no financial
gain.  Like I said, if I had the money, I would have his chassis.

Cheers,
Chris
BJ8