[Healeys] Asbestos

Subject: [Healeys] Asbestos
From: ynotink at msn.com (WILLIAM B LAWRENCE)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 02:58:34 +0000
Yes, both are bad to breath, but the danger in the asbestos fiber as opposed
the fiber glass is it's microscopic size. Fiber glass is large enough that it
will in almost all cases be filtered out by your natural immune system, caught
in mucous and expelled in phlegm. Asbestos on the other hand is so small, so
sharp and so resistant to degradation that it can be carried all the way into
the alveoli in the lungs, where it can implant itself and never be expelled.
As a foreign body it causes irritation, immune responses and eventually
cancerous changes. That is asbestosis. It is also small enough to penetrate
the lung and imbed in the lining of the thoracic cavity, where it can cause
another form of cancer called mesotheleoma.

On the other hand chances of exposures which cause a high degree of risk are
small if you take precautions such as wearing a respirator rated for asbestos,
some clothing you might be ready to dispose of and wet the material before
removing it with water and a surfactant (soap or water wetter) and transfer it
to a plastic bag (double bagging is a good idea) and seal it.

Removal is fairly simple, as you can see, disposal is another problem and is
probably regulated by local authorities.

It's been 25 years since I received truing on this topic, so there may be some
errors in my post attributable to technological advances or incipient
alzheimers...

Bill Lawrence

Bill Lawrence