Re: [Healeys] 100M cold air boxes and flow

To: "Greg Mandas" <gmandas@yahoo.com>, "Chris Dimmock"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100M cold air boxes and flow
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:33:14 -0600
Greg, I am not a scientist or engineer, but have a rudimentary or slightly
more understanding of how the carbs work, you are right more air flow should
raise the piston.  Normally a higher piston means less cross section of the
needle blocking the gas flow from the jet, so more gas more air more
power....  However you said more vacuum, wouldn't the vacuum in fact be
less, because it wouldn't be sucking from the engine, well it still would
but it would be pushing air through as well, and maybe a push doesn't suck
the gas up as well as regular manifold vacuum, therefore  (someone who knows
more may confirm this??? or tell me I am koo koo) a lean condition results
instead of more power, along with the possibility of holed pistons and such
nastiness as has been mentioned as the result of rm air to an SU by other
listers.

Greg Lemon