Re: [Healeys] 100M cold air boxes and flow

To: Greg Mandas <gmandas@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100M cold air boxes and flow
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 20:00:19 -0800
re: ' ... wouldn't the vacuum in fact be less, because it wouldn't be sucking
from the engine, well it still would but
it would be pushing air through as well, and maybe a push doesn't suck the gas
up as well as regular manifold vacuum,
therefore...'

Remember the jet of an SU is located upstream of the throttle plates, so there
is no engine or manifold vacuum to speak
of around the jet.  The vacuum--or 'depression' as the Brits call it--is caused
by Venturi Effect of air flowing between
the bottom of the vacuum piston and the jet bridge.   As the airflow increases,
the 'port vacuum' formed as air passes
over the bridges and under the pistons--similar to the port vacuum that changes
distributor advance--causes the pistons
to rise, in turn mediating the lower pressure in this area.  This is why SUs
are referred to as 'constant depression' or
'variable venturi' carburettors, as opposed to 'American' style carbs which are
'fixed venturi' type (that's why they
need several jets instead of just one and usually need other mixture
augmentation schemes).

Note that there are two holes in the bottom of an SU vacuum piston,
and--usually, I think some carbs don't--there is a
machined channel downstream of these ports so as to avoid any extra turbulence
or pressurization in this area.

I suspect--only speculation--that increasing pressure and hence airflow in this
region disrupts this balance, quite
possibly resulting in the lean-running Chris D. describes.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net