[Healeys] side curtain pouch

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] side curtain pouch
From: "Peter Svilans" <peter.svilans@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:37:53 -0500
Charlie

That's been a real head-scratcher for me as well.  I've collected a number of
original sidescreen bags, always in the hope that all the previous ones have
shrunk, and that the new one will magically fit.

But no.  You can push the screens up in as tight as they will go, and you can
usually just barely do up the front snap.  But the rear snap has the two
portions always 1 1/4" too far apart.

The situation can be corrected, of course, by moving the male portion of the
snap down to fit and filling the hole with an invisible vinyl repair.  (Or by
buying a new bag, as has been said.)   But if just the press-snap fastener is
being changed, don't forget that the typical snaps one gets at a trim shop
now- while the caps look the same- are not the same as the glove-snap that was
used originally, and you'd have to replace both halves.   Also, if your wife
is sewing these up, remember that the three vinyl sheets are not just laid up
flat together and sewn around. The individual pieces were always shifted
slightly inward, or "bunched up", to create a built-in fullness, before the
edges were sewn.

Thousands of cars produced, yet no none picked up on that rear fastener.    It
will probably remain a mystery for the ages.

Peter