Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too

To: healeys@Autox.Team.Net, Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too
From: Andrew Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 00:02:06 -0800 (PST)
OK I'll chuck my hat in the ring too.

To qualify as crankcase 'ventilation',
air needs to be drawn into the crankcase. Otherwise it is just a sort of
assisted fume removal, assuming the crankcase is fully sealed. If a Healey
engine is fitted with a PCV valve and is not provided with a filtered-air
entry point then inevitably unfiltered air will be sucked in via the rear
crankshaft scroll and probably also via the sundry oil leaks whenever the flow
through the PCV valve exceeds the ring leakage. Works for reducing oil leakage
but not ideal.

One advantage of a properly ventilated crankcase is the
reduction in oily smells from the oil leaking out. Without any air entering
the crankcase the fumes (smell) reach a saturation point in the oil which is
much higher (and therefore smellier) than if a decent air flow is present. If
you can smell engine in the garage after a drive, a PCV valve will go a long
way to fix this.

If I were going to fit a PCV valve to a Healey I'd block the
Tee on the rocker cover internally so that air is drawn in from the air
cleaner to the rocker cover and then weld a simple oil vapour catcher inside
the side plate cover followed by adding a 5/16 tube fitting to the side cover
pipe which takes fumes to the manifold via the PCV valve. That way the factory
vent tubing remains undisturbed and it all looks nice and original apart from
the PCV tube running from the side plate to the manifold. I did this on my
Ford and it has gone from stinking out the house after a run to no smell at
all.

Andy.

> Still haven't addressed a fresh air
> entry source to help