Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too

To: Andrew Thorp <bce257@yahoo.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] FW: PCV needs fresh air too
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 05:54:51 -0800
Or you could block the bottom of the 'tee' and replace the oil filler cap with
a vent with a small air cleaner on it.

Another potential issue is the PCV valve closes at idle.  In a full system, the
crankcase gasses--or anything that
exceeds the PCV's flow capacity--is vented back through the carburettor.   I
sometimes wonder what happens in my engine
without the fresh air source, but have had no ill effects that I know of in
30-40K miles or so.

Here's an aftermarket kit for small blocks that doesn't use a fresh air source,
either:

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/assets/pdf/lategreat/563742.pdf

Besides less oil leaking, some think the PCV has other positive (pun intended)
effects such as better ring sealing and
cleaner oil.

Bob

--