Re: [Healeys] Ignition Problem BJ8

To: Jonas Payne <JPayne@thorcon.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ignition Problem BJ8
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 08:11:30 +0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=fselOJ6kLU8PPFH9IuUdfQg8hP3hypTSgrTm4lbj6u0=; b=hIg9hjIhk2Bt491lSRdCTfrKuK2SqgVn8+oi5OCYGIfZ7/SDSdp5dW3VpuluhtDAiU QaLyJ0p1wSlfCn3KFekKbsIJfc+yWJ3GRdxibNb3szHXpTw8/UPlLlSCnPuFFdLC1gj/ YMI3ccrlBesMwuokkzhmwtA8A7B48d8iE+YKH7S5BGHt25z5ooyhDP6IUWeyXhNs8bhO etYnrYD10OJDZ2J5cC0oQmDwa+JTnlKOGaSgbCDNLUha62RYRD6SP6UfrzLCLEwwHEa3 A9dDPL2Q6d3dvlpzfcsVSLsc3XA5URrTw5X1T677riPz4oNBOLxU75guFNhDYhX2YNIC n6WQ==
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Jonas -

I used to have a similar problem with my BJ8.  I eventually solved the
problem by chasing down the white wire from the coil, to the
tachometer, to the ignition switch and making sure that wire had clean
firm connections all the way from the ignition switch to the coil.  I
later determined that corrosion on the Lucar terminals, and the part
where the wire went into the Lucar female (on the harness) had
corrosion on it to where when the wire heated up, the resistance would
increase and I would start losing spark.  Of course I would get some
warning with a sputtering ignition for a bit until it would conk out.
This little white wire gets more current than any other wire in the
harness and should have very good connections for your ignition to
work properly.

Also try swapping your cap and rotor.  A final thing to check is if
you are using modern suppressed ignition wires with your lucas
distributor, this could also be a problem.  You should only use solid
core wire with a lucas distributor.  Modern suppressed wires can lose
their ability to conduct electricity when stuck in an old vibrating
lucas distributor.

Hope that helps.

Alan

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/healey.nut@gmail.com