Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Brake booster fail locks brakes on

To: healey.nut@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Brake booster fail locks brakes on
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 06:31:52 -0700
Cc: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Haven't experienced this particular Healey joy (yet), but Alan's diagnosis
sounds very likely.

In addition, the large vacuum cylinder is lined with a magical 'dry lubricant.' Along with a too large/firm/stubborn seal, this lubricant may be eroded enough to contribute to the problem, and should be restored. I used one of these products (most likely, the 28A):

http://www.sandstromproducts.com/air-dry.html

Unfortunately, this stuff is beau coup expensive, and has hazmat shipping requirements. One can would probably do 20 boosters, and it expires after a couple years.

I don't know if there's a definitive way to tell if the lubricant should be renewed, but if the booster has over 100K miles it may need it.

Bob