Re: [Healeys] Registry

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Registry
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:35:34 -0400
That kind of thing was the reason for my comment a few days ago about why
manufacturers seem so casual sometimes with putting VINs and serial numbers
in vulnerable places, or otherwise not permanently marking the cars and
parts in more than one place with its original identity.  I know of one DMV
that gave an owner a hard time with registration because the VIN plate was
attached only by screws.
I wasn't saying that all cars turning up with mismatched identity plates got
that way by criminal intent.  But in all cases it WAS intent to deceive
someone about the correct identity of the car, if only to make them think
the body plate on the firewall was its original.  And yes, I appreciate that
sometimes deceiving the DMV is the only way to get another car back on the
road.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry