Re: [Healeys] Wheel balance

To: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wheel balance
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 21:43:21 -0400
The difficulty that you will encounter with that type of balancer is that
it is a single plane balancer.
That will be fine for the rear wheels (insofar as perceivable imbalance is
concerned) but...
If the tire has a lot of weight on say one sidewall at one point adding
weight on the other sidewall, opposite the weight on the first sidewall,
will produce a satisfactory result on that type of balancer (and perhaps a
rear mounted wheel) but an imbalance that will be felt in the steering if
the wheel is fitted to the front.
To ensure that the weight is installed on the correct side of the wheel a
dynamic 2 plane balancer is essential.

Michael S
BN1 #174

--