Re: [Healeys] Healey 100-6 Inner sills and outer rockers

To: Darin Graber <dkgraber85@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey 100-6 Inner sills and outer rockers
From: Mike Tobin <ahbt71@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:53:53 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Darin,
Went through hell with my BT7 when I cut out the sills and rear shut
pieces.  The doors would not line up with the rear wings.  I'd left the
motor and trans in the car, to account for the sag. Didn't matter.  After
way too long I realized that cowl had moved (down and a bit forward) when
the siill had been removed (it's located on the lower edge to the sill).  I
cut the new sills off, got new ones and by using pipe clamps and a
come-along was able to get everything into alignment *before* re-welding.
It looks like s*"=t down there, but damn the doors line up!
My theory is that the Healey structure is really pretty stiff (never hear
about doors coming open), but they take a real beating (my frame rails are
all dented) and stresses build up which are released when a stressed member
is cut out.  Looking at the cowl I didn't think it could have moved.
The Kilmartin sills are nice.
Cheers,
Mike Tobin