Re: [Healeys] brake light flasher

To: "Dr. C. Rubino" <ruvino@ripnet.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] brake light flasher
From: Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:51:29 -0400
Cc: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Hi Doc,

I have installed this brake flasher on my BJ7.  The flasher blinks 4 times
before going solid red.  The 4 flash sequence was the longest flashing
sequence I could program giving me a greater confidence that the drivers
behind me actually saw me apply the brakes.  All of this assuming they are
not on the phone and watching what they are doing.

I have also installed the flasher on a couple of other cars that are used
daily in bumper to bumper traffic.  Those cars have not been rear ended
since the instal.  Granted those tail lights are much higher than ours.

I also installed a third brake light and and converted my reflectors to
work like tail lights.  All of the bulbs have been changed to very bright
LED bulbs.  The flasher is installed so that it flashes all of the lights
as well.  I had not been rear ended before the flasher install nor have I
been rear ended since the install.  I can tell you that cars behind me are
coming to a full stop further behind me than before.

I can also tell you that I now have a tendency to keep a greater distance
between me and the car in front of me.  As I start to brake, I watch the
cars behind me and with the greater distance behind the car in front of me,
I have additional time to take defensive actions.

I really started doing the distance thing after a cop broadsided me and
totaled my daily driver.  The cop was on his cell phone.  He did not get a
ticket but I was absolved of all blame.  This has nothing to do with the
brake lights, just an indication that even cops are not immune to the
failure to pay attention while driving and therefore are causing accidents.

Do the flashers really help?  I think the real secret to the flasher
working is to start my braking process earlier and keeping a sharper eye on
the drivers behind me.  Combine all of that with the greater distances and
I feel better.

Fred