Re: [Healeys] Alloy Head

To: healeys@autox.team.net, healeyray@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Alloy Head
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 06:44:17 +1100
Hi Ray, my personal opinion is that unless there is a problem with your
iron head don't bother. You probably won't see any noticeable
performance increase and any small weight saving or improvement in heat
dissipation really would not be worth the money. The original Weslake
design works very well, and modifications to the original ports and
combustion chamber design can easily lead to no improvement or worse
performance at lower speeds.
Stay away from Webcon in the UK at this stage as they were making an
Austin A70 commercial head thinking it was Healey. I don't know if they
have changed it yet. The A70 commercial head had smaller and deeper
combustion chambers and with the Healey sized valves they were fitting
had shocking valve masking. I would not be paying extra for a Denis
Welch head for a road car, so any supplier that can supply a faithful
reproduction of the original should be ok.
As a matter of interest "Head Stud Developments" here in Australia are
also in the process of making a 4 cylinder alloy head, but I think they
are not quite ready for sale yet.
Regards
Larry Varley
BN1
BT7
Nash Healey Lemans Coupe x 2 :)

I am thinking about an alloy head for my 100. This is a request for list
wisdom on several issues. I'm thinking "fast road" as I have a 3/4 cam.
What make / supplier, about what price, what has been your experience
with one, what else should I be aware of? Are there any pros or cons
involved here. Thanks Ray Juncal