Re: [Healeys] Alloy Head

To: Healey Lista <healeys@autox.team.net> milter-greylist-4.0 (smtpout2.bornet.net [148.160.16.68]); Sun, 02 Nov 2014 11:36:01 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Alloy Head
From: Magnus Karlsson <magnuskarlsson@bornet.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 11:35:57 +0100
I've built an engine with DW full race aluminium head, composite gasket, 300B0
race cam and H6 carbs. I put it in a dyno and it gave 156 hp at 5000 rpm. I
don't remember the torque figures but maximum torque was achieved at around
1500 rpm and maintained as a flat curve up to 5000 rpm. This resulted in a
very competitive race engine and also a very tractable engine that can be used
on the streets without any problems. I would always choose to build a 100
engine like this as you get a real quick car with the better road holding
compared to a 3000. No problems with water leaks and the head has been long
lasting.

Magnus Karlsson

www.concourshealeys.com

> 2 nov 2014 kl. 06:39 skrev Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>:
>
> Hi Mike, first of all I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your
setup, only that 4 cylinder heads once cracked are known to crack again. Not
always, but you do have to weigh up the costs relative to a new head. I get my
head gaskets made locally in 1MM ( 0.040 thickness ), at $180.00 Australian
Dollars.
> I think it pretty easy to throw around claims of better performance, and
talk about air flow improvements but that isn't all there is to the equation.
What about the designs ability to provide thorough fuel atomisation through
the ports and into the chamber, not rocket science? No more like a black art!
Just increasing port sizes does not mean more power other than maybe at full
throttle.
> Basically where are the before and after horsepower and torque figures to
back up claimed more power?
> The alloy heads being offered may well be better, but it can only be proven
on a dyno across the whole rev range with horsepower and torque figures and
most importantly with before and after results on the same bottom end, then
there are no doubts. Are the figures out there for any of these alloy heads?
It would be interesting to see them.
> As a matter of interest some years ago when the late David Woodhouse set
about improving the original DMD 6 alloy cylinder head, the biggest
improvement was made by increasing the height of the inlet ports. thereby
improving the transition between horizontal and vertical air flow.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/magnuskarlsson@bornet.net