Re: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 front disc brake conversion

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 1959 100-6 front disc brake conversion
From: "Steve Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 11:56:49 -0800
Chris Scholz wrote:

I am looking for advice on converting my front drums to discs. Keeping my
wire
wheels. Any vendor?  I see some use Willwood discs. Who makes the brackets?
will also have rear discs with a narrowed after-market rear end and have to
figure out some kind of proportioning valve.  Thanks.

<<<

The easiest way is to buy the kit from Denis Welch - this includes
everything you need: brackets, calipers, hubs, braided hoses and rotors. The
caliper supplied is an early-70s TR6 unit which has the 3.25" bolt centers
but uses the larger cylinder & pad setup of the BJ8 Type 16. I've installed
this kit and it's straightforward for anyone who works on their own car.

Based on my experience, I'd swap out the Welch pads for the Moss Classic
Gold ceramic pads. If you do that (and break the pads in per instructions)
you should not need to swap your 3/4" master cylinder for the 5/8" one used
on the non-servo disc braked cars. Adding a servo also shouldn't be
necessary. My car has 4-wheel disc brakes, the 3/4" cylinder, and no more
pedal pressure than it had with 4-wheel drums.

--

Steve Gerow

Altadena, CA, USA

BN6 - 29D engine, 4-wheel Disc Brakes