Re: [Healeys] Healey on BAT Auction

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey on BAT Auction
From: Charlie <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 20:27:53 +0000 (UTC)
Thread-index: Uo9AQ0vX8YHxnKcmcUSAW+cuUPebMw== s=q20140121; t=1417724873; bh=9qIFr7qRxkVA0ZwVL9+VPBP4ApwN5KxxDsn1EqvwzVQ=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=bFEQA0ZE5P+so1On2K5Sd1uT2EKCzCacBo4jtgNixTDw6J1ZpYpRts69S7s5B8Wko U3VQiEUkhIQEYwlIqR34ZAK71HxO+BYkUIYA11flFfBD3nsV1xOFsugtQXzG8yaTJs I0oqFAmyE4BDR0dxr39Wyzhwg7C4kRQ/e0ftG0W1dnT/5VWm9NHG1C2sBN323Y5TyZ kPnPkbwo1akkBU+GrOnIs+KU00U6lfRcDcZxpELR28kvVdY2hGY20g1+SKbpKGjryC nO0mgt4nZL0IMW+6/Sq7fbetzJIjqv0uC5RS+vS4e2Ns0Dw2EeaaQv9PrdkPcpxiBR wfECxLT9ExNtw==
This is an interesting conversion, but will probably be somewhat underpowered.
A stock B18 in 1800S trim would have been rated at 108 hp. And the overdrive is
a D type that would have come with a B18. The slightly later B20 was rated
stock at 115 with carbs, but up to 130 fuel injected. Using the better
breathing of a fuel injected head, plugging the injector holes, SU carbs and at
least the fuel injected camshaft would net most of the gains of the EFI system,
yet still look like it belongs. The resulting hp would be easily in the 120 -
125 hp range. And the later J type overdrive used with the B20 fuel injected
cars would offer a more robust alternative.

If anyone is interested in such a conversion, I can put you in touch with
someone who has vast supplies of B18s, B20s, and overdrive transmissions.

I'm currently involved in such a swap in my MG TD. That will go from stock 54
hp to the above mentioned 120-125 and fit well with minimal cutting. And at the
same time have the engine weight lower in the chassis because the Volvo is a
shorter engine.

Charlie