Re: [Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel
From: Per Schoerner <per@schoerner.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:19:35 +0100
Hi
Well, the workshop manual calls for heating the starter ring to a
temperature of 300 to 400 centigrades Celcius, indicated by a light blue
surface colour.
When I did this, have done it twice on two different cars, I heated it
in a porcelain oven that can be programmed very precisely. I had the
flywheel in the freezer, but in hindsight I don't think this is
necessary. Anyway, I put the heated ring on the flywheel and let it cool
by itself. Initially there was a several millimeter gap between the ring
and the flywheel. After about five minutes the ring gear had shrinked so
it was not possible to move it around.

Per