Re: [Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel

To: Chris Dimmock <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ring gear not fully seated in flywheel
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:20:29 +0100
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
--===============3906275704301803544==
 boundary="------------090600080508070704020705"

--------------090600080508070704020705

There is no need to heat the shit out of the ring.
Putting the flywheel in the freezer for 4 or 5 hrs and the ring gear in
the oven at 250 degr. C for 1hr when the Missus is out for the day is
good enough.
Kees Oudesluijs

Chris Dimmock schreef op 19-1-2015 om 12:53:
> The "interference fit" method I've seen and experienced is...
> 1. Apply a shitload of heat on a ring gear, (preferably with at least
> 2 blokes dressed like blacksmiths), with strong steel tongs to lift a
> ring gear that could burn a hole through your garage floor...
> 2. Which is then dropped/ slipped  carefully over...
> 3. a near frozen flywheel...
> 4. lightly tap the ring gear into a square position on the flywheel.
> 5. follow up with a couple of appropriate tacks from a MIG.
> 6. Omit step 5, If you think you need to replace the ring gear in the
> next 150,000 - 350,000 miles, and don't have a spare flywheel.....
> Trust me. You will replace the flywheel before you replace the ring
> gear again...
> Lots of heat. Placed on lots of cold. That's the definition of an
> "interference fit"
> Tack weld if you don't think you got it right. Just to be sure.....
> Just to be sure.
> ;-)
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 19 Jan 2015, at 7:20 pm, Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl
>
>> This happens fairly often when a ring gear is replaced by a
>> incompetent mechanic. The only solution is replacing the ring gear
>> once again. In very rare cases one can heat the exisring ring quickly
>> to expand the ring gear without heating up the flywheel to much and
>> bang home the ring gear. However this trick usually fails for various
>> reasons.
>> Kees Oudesluijs
>>

>> richard mayor schreef op 19-1-2015 om 1:45:
>>> Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 6 cylinder Healey flywheel ring
>>> gear  that was not fully seated onto the flywheel. I discovered just
>>> such a situation with a flywheel from a motor that had little over
>>> 5,000 miles on it. There is a bit more than 1/8th inch gap. The ring
>>> gear was rubbing on the top 2 rear engine plate mounting bolts. It
>>> was definitely a noise maker.  I suspect that is why the engine came
>>> out of the car at such low mileage.
>>>
>>>  Richard Mayor

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.5645 / Virusdatabase: 4260/8958 - datum van uitgifte:
> 01/19/15

--------------090600080508070704020705

  <head>
  </head>
      of the ring.<br>
      Putting the flywheel in the freezer for 4 or 5 hrs and the ring
      gear in the oven at 250 degr. C for 1hr when the Missus is out for
      the day is good enough.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Chris Dimmock schreef op 19-1-2015 om 12:53:<br>
      cite="mid:4AAC5FEF-283A-499F-9AC7-0604715B4192@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        at least 2 blokes dressed like blacksmiths), with strong steel
        tongs to lift a ring gear that could burn a hole through your
        garage floor...</div>
        flywheel. </div>
        gear in the next 150,000 - 350,000 miles, and don't have a spare
        flywheel.....</div>
        the ring gear again... </div>
        of an "interference fit" </div>
        sure.....</div>
        Sent from my iPhone</div>
        On 19 Jan 2015, at 7:20 pm, Oudesluys &lt;<a
          moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:coudesluijs@chello.nl";>coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
            ring gear is replaced by a incompetent mechanic. The only
            solution is replacing the ring gear once again. In very rare
            cases one can heat the exisring ring quickly to expand the
            ring gear without heating up the flywheel to much and bang
            home the ring gear. However this trick usually fails for
            various reasons.<br>
            Kees Oudesluijs<br>
            richard mayor schreef op 19-1-2015 om 1:45:<br>
            cite="mid:BAY173-W795A877D49CDEC7FD16BAC04A0@phx.gbl"
            type="cite">
              Healey flywheel ring gear  that was not fully seated onto
              the flywheel. I discovered just such a situation with a
              flywheel from a motor that had little over 5,000 miles on
              it. There is a bit more than 1/8th inch gap. The ring gear
              was rubbing on the top 2 rear engine plate mounting bolts.
              It was definitely a noise maker.  I suspect that is why
              the engine came out of the car at such low mileage.<br>
               Richard Mayor<br>
            <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
Support <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a
moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>
Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
              href="http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a
              moz-do-not-send="true"

        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.5645 / Virusdatabase: 4260/8958 - datum van
        uitgifte: 01/19/15</p>

--------------090600080508070704020705--