Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes

To: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes
From: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 08:59:09 +0000
Cc: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a113455dad1f29b050d9e7727

To go back to the original question. I would doubt that Healey drum brakes
are lighter than a disc brake set up but in any case they have more
rotating mass which is a dynamic disadvantage.

Aesthetically I agree that the drums look better as can be seen on the old
Alfas etc. For normal Healey road use I wouldn't change drums for disc,
certainly not on a 100. I drove my 100-Six down the Stelvio pass and never
experienced any brake fade.

Derek

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Patrick & Caroline Quinn <
p_cquinn@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> Drongos!
>
> Read what I wrote. I didn't say that today, drums are better than discs.
> This is a discussion list for the owners of Austin-Healeys, not modern
> trucks or anything built later than 1970.
>
> My comment was based on a direct comparison between a 100 with well sorted
> drum brakes and that of the discs fitted to a 100S. Then I mentioned the
> glorious drum brakes of a T35 Bugatti. Truly how many of you have really
> looked close at a T35 and realised that the drums are actually cast into
> those glorious cast alloy wheels? There has never been a more sensuous
> looking brake made ever!
>
> Then talking about looks have a close view of the casting of the Lancia's
> brakes and them tell me that they don't look pretty next to a functional
> and
> highly efficient disc brake caliper. The next time you see the brakes of an
> Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale have a close look and tell me that they are not
> pretty. Sure Brembo and the like brakes may be the most efficient brakes
> built since Adam was a boy, but in my mind they have no soul and belong
> with
> the boy racer brigade.
>
> By the way the word 'Drongo' is an Australian tongue-in-cheek term of
> endearment.
>
> Hoo Roo
>
> Patrick Quinn
> Blue Mountains, Oztraya

 style>Aesthetically I agree that the drums look better as can be seen on t=
he old Alfas etc. For normal Healey road use I wouldn&#39;t change drums fo=
r disc, certainly not on a 100. I drove my 100-Six down the Stelvio pass an=
 Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:19 AM, Patrick &amp; Caroline Quinn <span dir=3D"lt=
r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:p_cquinn@tpg.com.au"; target=3D"_blank">p_cquinn@tp=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Drongos!=
Read what I wrote. I didn&#39;t say that today, drums are better than discs=
.<br>
This is a discussion list for the owners of Austin-Healeys, not modern<br>
trucks or anything built later than 1970.<br>
My comment was based on a direct comparison between a 100 with well sorted<=
br>
drum brakes and that of the discs fitted to a 100S. Then I mentioned the<br=

glorious drum brakes of a T35 Bugatti. Truly how many of you have really<br=

looked close at a T35 and realised that the drums are actually cast into<br=

those glorious cast alloy wheels? There has never been a more sensuous<br>
looking brake made ever!<br>
Then talking about looks have a close view of the casting of the Lancia&#39=
;s<br>
brakes and them tell me that they don&#39;t look pretty next to a functiona=
l and<br>
highly efficient disc brake caliper. The next time you see the brakes of an=
Alfa Romeo Sprint Speciale have a close look and tell me that they are not<=
br>
pretty. Sure Brembo and the like brakes may be the most efficient brakes<br=

built since Adam was a boy, but in my mind they have no soul and belong wit=
h<br>
the boy racer brigade.<br>
By the way the word &#39;Drongo&#39; is an Australian tongue-in-cheek term =
of<br>
endearment.<br>
Hoo Roo<br>
Patrick Quinn<br>