Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes

Subject: Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes
From: I Erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:38:19 -0800
Cc: "&#039,healeylist&#039," <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a11c177fa8c58e8050db90162

The drum brakes on my 65 Oldsmobile would fade in heavy rain. I lived in
the Hollywood hills and when a classic LA gully washer storm would hit, I
was always scared shitless, that my brakes would fail coming down the
mountain. I had to leave double the room behind cars to deal with the
longer stopping distances.

Ira Erbs
Portland, OR
     (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)
         (_________________________)

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 10:22 PM, josef-eckert@t-online.de <
josef-eckert@t-online.de> wrote:

> Patrick,
> I fully support you. I never understood why people swapped their drum
> brakes for disks. My 100 with 4 drums around is breaking extrremely well. I
> like the little shake before the brakes bite as they tell me they are
> working well and I feel the old vintage technology.
> Drum brakes need a little more maintenance than disks, but that piece of
> work is fun for me, enjoying to work on my cars and keeping them in good
> condition. I want to feel the "soul" of my old cars and the difference to
> my modern daily commuter.
>

> Josef Eckert
> Konigswinter/Germany
>

> -----Original-Nachricht-----
> Betreff: Re: [Healeys] Drum Brakes
> Datum: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 07:01:45 +0100
> Von: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
> An: "'Wilko2'" <e-wilkins@cox.net>
>
> G'day
>
> I must admit that I am a big fan of drum brakes!
>
> Why? I hear you ask. Well they look better and in the right circumstances
> they perform better. Years back when I was competing in my 100 I could
> easily outbrake a 100S. Yes the backing plates were scooped and the drums
> were drilled along with diagonal ribbing. Joe's correct about the water,
> but
> thankfully I had to be careful just a few times.
>
> Sorry disc calipers and rotors just look boring. Imagine disc brakes on a
> T35 Bugatti? However the best looking drum brake I have ever seen was on a
> Lancia Aurelia B20. Have a look at the attached.
>
> Hoo Roo
>
> Patrick Quinn
> Blue Mountains, Australia

v class=3D"gmail_signature">Ira Erbs<br>Portland, OR<br>=C2=A0=C2=A0 ______=
_=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 _______<br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=
=A0 (______ \____1960 BT7____/ _______)<br>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=
"mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";>josef-eckert@t-online.de</a> <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de"; target=3D"_blank">jos=
uote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">Patrick,<br>
I fully support you. I never understood why people swapped their drum brake=
s for disks. My 100 with 4 drums around is breaking extrremely well. I like=
 the little shake before the brakes bite as they tell me they are working w=
ell and I feel the old vintage technology.<br>
Drum brakes need a little more maintenance than disks, but that piece of wo=
rk is fun for me, enjoying to work on my cars and keeping them in good cond=
ition. I want to feel the &quot;soul&quot; of my old cars and the differenc=
e to my modern daily commuter.<br>
Josef Eckert<br>
Konigswinter/Germany<br>
-----Original-Nachricht-----<br>