Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

To: geraldhull@eastlink.ca
Subject: Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 15:16:38 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Thread-index: AQF1k1j/F7rcCoRK5uaseF9U/3+SIgGqrQi0na+/S5AvXRTnRQ== s=q20140121; t=1425222999; bh=TUsr+pc2mLQvQlV8lWjP9+P9Up2ojwl2R2k1p6fcW0w=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=sal8LctZxHwfiNEdM+SBK40sWOTfWfetL8G+F2LSjfYnnP2ksSGLiNgDzK/S07U0g hl1Pv38aomlF4Pp+CyZAH4PqZil8mum45T6gEIg1iMTP4a0KMh0QkU6nYPr4SY09xL kou5nHkoqzIUKO/Zt4mC4K2vtUHopwLVaGNRsrUwivuDwXi24HZUT/VfjDWszg+s5A tg7zdZK4aYtUY1OhE2zuJp++3QezJoHrhhddSbWumD1dIox8qsx8TbuutJIuy3C1Fy ZL4gm9ptUCXGco3mGTS9GYabWtdDN/UFQyz7bsG7x+j+Qrmh4jOZsx8q4f2zxoEvGk V8JySmiaWA/wg==

------=_Part_3681641_365085921.1425222998580

re: "Can anyone guess who the supplier/manufacturer of all these parts was?"

I'm gonna take a WAG it was Moss Motors; who supplied me with two defective
pumps (broken shafts). There's more to the story; Moss' technical support man,
Michael Grant, went to great lengths to rectify the situation best he could
(though he couldn't make up for a foreshortened Healey road trip). Michael was
just as frustrated as I was; he has worked with this supplier for years and the
story is familiar: the founder of the company, who had supplied quality parts,
dropped dead of a heart attack and his successors did not share his concerns
for quality and integrity. Michael informed the company of the quality issues
and they did nothing; they can apparently keep selling crap and get away with
it and, last I heard, there was no other source for the pumps. Michael owns and
regularly drives a BJ8, so shares our concerns parts quality.

Another side note: I have talked to other suppliers who deal with many
customers who were frustrated by the fact customers bought only on price (yep,
Healey owners can be cheap SOBs sometimes). One seller had a NOS bumper for a
Big Healey--at the time it was $300--and all his customers complained
strenuously about the price and bought cheap aftermarket bumpers which were all
but junk.

We all would like first-rate quality at third-world supplier prices, no? But,
if we want quality we have to be willing to pony up for it although, I've seen
what the cast Al sumps cost and there's no excuse they aren't first-rate.

OTOH, we do have suppliers like Denis Welch who, AFAIK, does supply first-rate
kit though at premium prices.

Bob