Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts

To: "varley@cosmos.net.au" <varley@cosmos.net.au>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] water pumps and other repro parts
From: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 15:27:09 +0000

--_8a4acf8e-a7fb-466e-a088-8dd1b74a17a9_

List=2C
I feel that in many cases the suppliers rely on the fact that the purchaser=
s/owners may complain to them but that's where it ends. This List may start=
 something if enough purchasers/owners band together to let some suppliers =
know that some of their parts are not up to the task. I complained twice ov=
er five years to a supplier about the wiring harness for the signal lights/=
horns being of the wrong colour. They acted like it was the first time it h=
appened and I know another local owner had purchased the same harness and c=
omplained as well in that period of time.=20
I am very careful as to who I purchase certain parts from because I only wa=
nt to install it once. If the part fails before I complete a restoration=2C=
 believe me it happened with two exhaust hangers and I had to change them=
=2C I cannot charge the owner twice for something like that=2C so it's done=
 on my own time.
Here are a few items that I see problems with:
-Wiper motor mounting rubber=2C three of them needed.
-Signal lights/ horns wiring harness that goes through the stator tube.
-Inside piece for the ashtray=2C rechrome your old on as the new ones are n=
ot the same at all.
-Flasher unit
-Bottom rad hose
-Carpet set
If anyone wants to know where to get some of these with good quality built =
in them=2C contact me off list.=20

Jean=20
_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com
>=20
                                          =

--_8a4acf8e-a7fb-466e-a088-8dd1b74a17a9_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
ases the suppliers rely on the fact that the purchasers/owners may complain=
 to them but that's where it ends. This List may start something if enough =
purchasers/owners band together to let some suppliers know that some of the=
ir parts are not up to the task. I complained twice over five years to a su=
pplier about the wiring harness for the signal lights/horns being of the wr=
ong colour. They acted like it was the first time it happened and I know an=
other local owner had purchased the same harness and complained as well in =
that period of time. <br>I am very careful as to who I purchase certain par=
ts from because I only want to install it once. If the part fails before I =
complete a restoration=2C believe me it happened with two exhaust hangers a=
nd I had to change them=2C I cannot charge the owner twice for something li=
ke that=2C so it's done on my own time.<br>Here are a few items that I see =
problems with:<br>-Wiper motor mounting rubber=2C three of them needed.<br>=
-Signal lights/ horns wiring harness that goes through the stator tube.<br>=
-Inside piece for the ashtray=2C rechrome your old on as the new ones are n=
If anyone wants to know where to get some of these with good quality built =
 Mar 2015 16:18:22 +1100<br>&gt=3B From: varley@cosmos.net.au<br>&gt=3B To:=
 healeys@autox.team.net<br>&gt=3B Subject: [Healeys] water pumps and other =
repro parts<br>&gt=3B <br>&gt=3B Hi Guys=2C it is in fact very disappointin=
g the quality of some of the <br>&gt=3B reproduction parts available for ou=
r cars. Whenever possible it is <br>&gt=3B better to recondition original e=
quipment rather than take the road that <br>&gt=3B can seem easier by repla=
cing. I have seen the following. New complete <br>&gt=3B BJ8 steering box w=
here the sector peg was fully soft steel and wore out <br>&gt=3B in 2000 mi=
les. Alloy petrol tanks that continually crack at the end <br>&gt=3B seams.=
 Plastic fuel gauge tank unit floats that crack at the clip that <br>&gt=3B=
 retains them. Ball joint boots that disintegrate quickly.  Cast <br>&gt=3B=
 aluminium 6 cylinder sumps that are porous and leak oil. Alloy 100 <br>&gt=
=3B cylinder heads sold as for the 100 when they were in fact Austin A70 <b=
r>&gt=3B commercial heads with Healey valves fitted small deep combustion c=
ambers <br>&gt=3B and hopeless valve masking. And for goodness sake does an=
yone make a <br>&gt=3B Healey exhaust mount that is properly vulcanised rub=
ber to steel and <br>&gt=3B doesn't fall apart? I know it is hard to make s=
mall volume production <br>&gt=3B but in the real world the suppliers would=
 be getting lots of warranty <br>&gt=3B claims. My sample is just across 3 =
cars=2C so I'm sure there are more out <br>&gt=3B there. Feel free to reply=
 to the list with what parts have disappointed. <br>&gt=3B While the list p=
robably should not name and shame the suppliers=2C we <br>&gt=3B should be =
pointing out what to be aware of when buying new reproduction <br>&gt=3B pa=
rts. Wherever possible fix what the original manufacturer produced as <br>&=
gt=3B it will have been made to a high standard=2C with repro=2C who knows.=

--_8a4acf8e-a7fb-466e-a088-8dd1b74a17a9_--