Re: [Healeys] Steering Box and Wire Wheel Questions--BJ8

To: I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Steering Box and Wire Wheel Questions--BJ8
From: Derek Job <derek.c.job@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 06:47:16 +0100
Cc: Ahealey help <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a11c2ade62e7eb30518b03994

Heat it up and put it in a plastic sauce bottle of the type used at
hamburger joints. Works fine.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 1:32 AM, I Erbs <eyera3@gmail.com> wrote:

> I went to part store and bought pump and stuck it in bottle when I used
> penrite.  Got one for $8,00 cheap plastic one
>
> Mr. Ira Erbs
> On Jun 16, 2015 3:45 PM, "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It liquifies under load, so probably just heat it up a bit and pour it in.
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 17, 2015, Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net> wrote:
>>
>>> OK------so today I went out and bought a tube of John Deere Corn Head
>>> grease--14oz.   Then I began to wonder how exactly I'd get all this gunk
>>> into the steering box.
>>>
>>> I will try letting the grease sit in the sun and get good and hot and
>>> then just use a hand grease gun and lots of time to fill it.
>>>
>>> Anyone done it differently?
>>>
>>> tom
>>> ---- Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> =============
>>> Tom:
>>>
>>> I agree with all of the responses on the leaking steering box.  ie: if
>>> you
>>> decide to replace parts, do it right - remove the column and do it on the
>>> bench.
>>>
>>> Here is worked for me - several years ago for my tri-carb:  Drain the
>>> box in
>>> place - loosen the bolts for the bottom plate enough to allow whatever
>>> is in
>>> there to drain.  Allow lots of time for as complete a drain as
>>> possible.  I
>>> left mine for 2 -3 days.  Tighten the bolts and get some light grease -
>>> one
>>> lister recommended some John Deere stuff, I used Penrite steering box
>>> lube.
>>> It's specifically designed for old car steering boxes.  It's pretty
>>> thick,
>>> so I heated it in order to get it to flow so I could get it into the box.
>>> It's been probably close to 10 years, and the box hasn't leaked yet, and
>>> the
>>> steering works just fine.
>>>
>>> I'm so impressed with that stuff, that it went into the BJ8's steering
>>> box
>>> and idler upon assembly at the restoration a couple of years ago.  I
>>> would
>>> try this before you start tearing things apart.
>>>
>>> Sorry, I can't help with the wheel / noise problem.  I know from personal
>>> experience that Dayton has had some problems the last couple years, but
>>> don't know of any problems like you have.  Apparently the MWS wheels are
>>> much better at this time - I'm told that they come out of the box nice
>>> and
>>> round.
>>>
>>> Earl Kagna
>>> Victoria, B.C.
>>> BJ8, BT7 tri-carb

e used at hamburger joints. Works fine.</div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:eyera3@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">eyera3=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><p dir=
=3D"ltr">I went to part store and bought pump and stuck it in bottle when I=
 used penrite.=C2=A0 Got one for $8,00 cheap plastic one</p>
&quot;Alan Seigrist&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; targe=
t=3D"_blank">healey.nut@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"></=
div></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bord=
er-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div class=3D"h5">It liquifie=
s under load, so probably just heat it up a bit and pour it in.<br><br>On W=
ednesday, June 17, 2015, Tom Felts &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tomfelts@windstrea=
m.net" target=3D"_blank">tomfelts@windstream.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockqu=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc s=
olid;padding-left:1ex">OK------so today I went out and bought a tube of Joh=
n Deere Corn Head grease--14oz.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Then I began to wonder how exac=
tly I&#39;d get all this gunk into the steering box.<br>
I will try letting the grease sit in the sun and get good and hot and then =
just use a hand grease gun and lots of time to fill it.<br>
Anyone done it differently?<br>
tom<br>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>
Tom:<br>
I agree with all of the responses on the leaking steering box.=C2=A0 ie: if=
 you<br>
decide to replace parts, do it right - remove the column and do it on the<b=
r>
bench.<br>
Here is worked for me - several years ago for my tri-carb:=C2=A0 Drain the =
box in<br>
place - loosen the bolts for the bottom plate enough to allow whatever is i=
n<br>
there to drain.=C2=A0 Allow lots of time for as complete a drain as possibl=
e.=C2=A0 I<br>
left mine for 2 -3 days.=C2=A0 Tighten the bolts and get some light grease =
- one<br>
lister recommended some John Deere stuff, I used Penrite steering box lube.=
It&#39;s specifically designed for old car steering boxes.=C2=A0 It&#39;s p=
retty thick,<br>
so I heated it in order to get it to flow so I could get it into the box.<b=
r>
It&#39;s been probably close to 10 years, and the box hasn&#39;t leaked yet=
, and the<br>
steering works just fine.<br>
I&#39;m so impressed with that stuff, that it went into the BJ8&#39;s steer=
ing box<br>
and idler upon assembly at the restoration a couple of years ago.=C2=A0 I w=
ould<br>
try this before you start tearing things apart.<br>
Sorry, I can&#39;t help with the wheel / noise problem.=C2=A0 I know from p=
ersonal<br>
experience that Dayton has had some problems the last couple years, but<br>
don&#39;t know of any problems like you have.=C2=A0 Apparently the MWS whee=
ls are<br>
much better at this time - I&#39;m told that they come out of the box nice =
and<br>
round.<br>
Earl Kagna<br>
Victoria, B.C.<br>