Re: [Healeys] OT: Axle Jacking

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] OT: Axle Jacking
From: Keith Mott <mottman55@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:34:08 -0700
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--089e015383fc9290fd0524e82ad4

This is really surprising to me.  I have always lifted cars by putting a
floor jack under the differential, and I have never had a problem nor have
I heard of any problem with the practice.   I suppose it could be something
specific to Mustangs, but all you have to do is lift a Healey axle housing
(even without the differential) to realize that it's pretty solid.  I can't
believe this is a common problem for all cars, and definitely not for a
Healey.

I CAN see that putting all the pressure on the drain plug at the bottom of
the differential housing could be a problem.

But, of course, now I'll worry about this the next time I jack up my
Healey.  Thanks Bob...  :)

keith

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Thought about posting this to shop-talk, but I suspect there's more
> general car knowledge here.
>
> I believe my Mustang manual has admonitions against jacking the rear by
> placing a floor jack under the rear pumpkin.  I've jacked-up Healeys this
> way for years, but the Healey axle housing is a single chunk of iron; the
> Mustang probably has thin-wall tubes from the pumpkin to the wheels.
> Theoretically, you could bend the thin-wall tubes, but I've done it a few
> times with no noticeable issues.
>
> Thoughts from the Illuminati?
>
> Bob

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/mottman55@gmail.com

--089e015383fc9290fd0524e82ad4

d cars by putting a floor jack under the differential, and I have never had=
 a problem nor have I heard of any problem with the practice. =C2=A0 I supp=
ose it could be something specific to Mustangs, but all you have to do is l=
ift a Healey axle housing (even without the differential) to realize that i=
t&#39;s pretty solid.=C2=A0 I can&#39;t believe this is a common problem fo=
hat putting all the pressure on the drain plug at the bottom of the differe=
now I&#39;ll worry about this the next time I jack up my Healey.=C2=A0 Than=
gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM=
, Bob Spidell <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"=
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex">Thought about posting this to shop-talk, but I suspect=
 there&#39;s more general car knowledge here.<br>
I believe my Mustang manual has admonitions against jacking the rear by pla=
cing a floor jack under the rear pumpkin.=C2=A0 I&#39;ve jacked-up Healeys =
this way for years, but the Healey axle housing is a single chunk of iron; =
the Mustang probably has thin-wall tubes from the pumpkin to the wheels.=C2=
=A0 Theoretically, you could bend the thin-wall tubes, but I&#39;ve done it=
 a few times with no noticeable issues.<br>
Thoughts from the Illuminati?<br>
Bob<br>
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=