Re: [Healeys] 3000 Mk III cloisonne front badge

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 3000 Mk III cloisonne front badge
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:25:38 +0200
References: <BY2PR0301MB2007E78FE9F492F812FDF69FB3FA0@BY2PR0301MB2007.namprd03.prod.outlook.com> <CANqsgC5u+bMCDKt+gK_4XqjKd2oYA8wQ_SYA7Wf2kiHdgmv=2A@mail.gmail.com> <040301d20b53$56ba3280$042e9780$@rr.com> <BY2PR0301MB200700EED12ADB809FBB3BEEB3FC0@BY2PR0301MB2007.namprd03.prod.outlook.com> <CAPTa0B5n7B0s3VoKuwNcTn8h5pKxvF8aMKUHjqtc0qN0pf__8Q@mail.gmail.com> <001501d20c3e$79a9c300$6cfd4900$@rr.com> <aa80f607-baae-1d84-3499-8e107e68be25@chello.nl> <32a1b3b3-13cf-6a0d-4c25-79a7594a9717@comcast.net> <57D5A310.4040602@earthlink.net> <CAPTa0B4BZxsn_LFA9n0yQ1q6G32pHGS_Kmy_bcXrTtoYS_GR8g@mail.gmail.com> <1F31385E-20CE-4012-8B66-D397311EC712@gmail.com>
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.2.0 a=9+rZDBEiDlHhcck0kWbJtElFXBc=:19 a=GW1xBdLrtEIA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=5Up8faWwAAAA:8 a=3H_K-z2yAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=5B8M-7JuUQAgt_4J5B8A:9 a=MrUrmZ9BgbFCFlIn:21 a=IN8zDOYEGvYmzdcN:21 a=pILNOxqGKmIA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=gxjyDbgCVzYA:10 a=1xnKaqaIxpBIR7jeLU8A:9 a=mbt-2n9MBgLOv7fX:21 a=viop7jdwcCjfgdSB:21 a=jcLqKa-qz158oARs:21 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=6kGIvZw6iX1k4Y-7sg4_:22 a=DyTIyT2i5bKf2by9bU5a:22 a=r0ZCyhsZbsL5NC4OyNmY:22 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 xcat=Undefined/Undefined none
--===============8428293549166260059==
 boundary="------------BEE2883211D4390D04C6D5E1"

--------------BEE2883211D4390D04C6D5E1

The badges of the JENSEN-HEALEY always had the hyphen where applicable,
as on the bonnet, wheels and steering wheel the hyphen was replaced by a
stylised wide H in the middle with JENSEN in the top and HEALEY in the
bottom part of the H. However in documents you will find both Jensen
Healey (e.g. original wiring diagram, maintainance scheme, official
letters etc.) and Jensen-Healey.
This hyphen story on the big Healeys probably is a Jensen thing as they
build the complete bodies, painted, wired, trimmed and all (on the same
line as the Jensen-Haeley was to be build a few years later), for BMC
who just fitted engine and gearbox. The story of the production fault
and subsequent deal with the provider could well be true as Jensen was
always tight for money.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 12-9-2016 om 8:00 schreef Chris Dimmock:
> [...]
> I've never seen an Austin Healey Sprite (certainly 948's and 1100's)
> with a hyphen on their bonnet badges. But my collection of Sprite
> owners handbooks, special tuning, schedule of workshop hours etc
> handbooks all have the hyphen.  But there's no hyphen on the cover of
> the Workshop manuals....
> I just think it's a BMC consistency control issue.......
> I also had a very quick look at some trademark databases. The most
> recent "Austin Healey" and "Austin-Healey" trademark holders - British
> Motor Heritage Limited / Nanjing / SAIC - appear to have/ had both
> variants as registered trademarks at various times.
> So I'm guessing it's a bigger deal to us than it ever was to Austin /
> BMC - they probably had both variants trademarked too, so it didn't
> matter.
> So - was Jensen Healey always hyphenated or not??
> ;-)
> Chris
>

> On 12 Sep 2016, at 9:10 AM, Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com
>
>> When I replied just a few minutes ago to Steve Byer's message I did
>> not view the full string of messages and I see fromold posts attached
>> to Ed Kaler's message/site that I have been asking this same question
>> since 2001--which is pretty interesting given that I often tend to
>> forget what seemed important just a few minutes earlier.
>>
>> In any case though I know this issue hardly rises to the level of
>> important it is a curious occurrence.  I can understand how badges
>> got used out of sequence, but since the name "Austin'Healey" was an
>> established brand and probably protected under UK and/or worldwide
>> patent-trademark laws it makes me wonder why BMC would have
>> intentionally changed the name of its product, albeit only by the
>> omission of a dash.
>>
>> Best--Michael Oritt
>>

>> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net
>>
>>     Bob,
>>
>>     Mk II
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     Bob Haskell
>>     AHCA 3000 MkI registrar
>>     http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php
>>     <http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php>
>>
>>     On 09/11/2016 12:51 PM, Bob Spidell wrote:
>>
>>         Is a BJ7 a "Mark III" or a "Mark II?"
>>

>>         On 9/11/2016 8:59 AM, Oudesluys wrote:
>>
>>             Knowing Jensen, they could have used either badge in the
>>             change-over
>>             period. They used up old stock and or used what ever was
>>             at hand.
>>             Kees Oudesluijs
>>

>>             Op 11-9-2016 om 17:09 schreef BJ8Healeys:
>>

>>                 The BJ7 badge had "Austin-Healey", and the BJ8 badge
>>                 has it without
>>                 the hyphen.   There is only one part number in the
>>                 BMC parts list for
>>                 the BJ7 badge, and one for BJ8, so only empirical
>>                 data would identify
>>                 if there was a change point in the middle of the
>>                 models.  Previous
>>                 discussions didn't surface anyone who had a BJ7 badge

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      had the hyphen where applicable, as on the bonnet, wheels and
      steering wheel the hyphen was replaced by a stylised wide H in the
      middle with JENSEN in the top and HEALEY in the bottom part of the
      H. However in documents you will find both Jensen Healey (e.g.
      original wiring diagram, maintainance scheme, official letters
      etc.) and Jensen-Healey.<br>
      This hyphen story on the big Healeys probably is a Jensen thing as
      they build the complete bodies, painted, wired, trimmed and all
      (on the same line as the Jensen-Haeley was to be build a few years
      later), for BMC who just fitted engine and gearbox. The story of
      the production fault and subsequent deal with the provider could
      well be true as Jensen was always tight for money.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 12-9-2016 om 8:00 schreef Chris Dimmock:<br>
      cite="mid:1F31385E-20CE-4012-8B66-D397311EC712@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
        Sprite (certainly 948's and 1100's) with a hyphen on their
        bonnet badges. But my collection of Sprite owners handbooks,
        special tuning, schedule of workshop hours etc handbooks all
        have the hyphen.  But there's no hyphen on the cover of the
        Workshop manuals....</div>
        control issue.......</div>
        trademark databases. The most recent "Austin Healey" and
        "Austin-Healey" trademark holders - British Motor Heritage
        Limited / Nanjing / SAIC - appear to have/ had both variants as
        registered trademarks at various times. </div>
        us than it ever was to Austin / BMC - they probably had both
        variants trademarked too, so it didn't matter. </div>
        hyphenated or not?? </div>
        On 12 Sep 2016, at 9:10 AM, Michael Oritt &lt;<a
          moz-do-not-send="true"
href="mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";>michael.oritt@gmail.com</a>&gt;
        wrote:<br>
            ago to Steve Byer's message I did not view the full string
            of messages and I see fromold posts attached to Ed Kaler's
            message/site that I have been asking this same question
            since 2001--which is pretty interesting given that I often
            tend to forget what seemed important just a few minutes
            earlier.</div>
            issue hardly rises to the level of important it is a curious
            occurrence.  I can understand how badges got used out of
            sequence, but since the name "Austin'Healey" was an
            established brand and probably protected under UK and/or
            worldwide patent-trademark laws it makes me wonder why BMC
            would have intentionally changed the name of its product,
            albeit only by the omission of a dash.</div>
            Haskell <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="mailto:rchaskell@earthlink.net";
target="_blank">rchaskell@earthlink.net</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
              Mk II<br>
              Cheers,<br>
              Bob Haskell<br>
              AHCA 3000 MkI registrar<br>
              <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.ciahc.org/registry_3000mk1.php";
                rel="noreferrer"
target="_blank">http://www.ciahc.org/registry_<wbr>3000mk1.php</a><span
                class=""><br>
                On 09/11/2016 12:51 PM, Bob Spidell wrote:<br>
                  Is a BJ7 a "Mark III" or a "Mark II?"<br>
                  On 9/11/2016 8:59 AM, Oudesluys wrote:<br>
                    Knowing Jensen, they could have used either badge in
                    the change-over<br>
                    period. They used up old stock and or used what ever
                    was at hand.<br>
                    Kees Oudesluijs<br>
                    Op 11-9-2016 om 17:09 schreef BJ8Healeys:<br>
                      The BJ7 badge had "Austin-Healey", and the BJ8
                      badge has it without<br>
                      the hyphen.   There is only one part number in the
                      BMC parts list for<br>
                      the BJ7 badge, and one for BJ8, so only empirical
                      data would identify<br>
                      if there was a change point in the middle of the
                      models.  Previous<br>
                      discussions didn't surface anyone who had a BJ7
                      badge without the<br>
                      hyphen, or a BJ8 badge with it.<br>
                      Steve Byers<br>
                      HBJ8L/36666<br>
                      BJ8 Registry<br>
                      AHCA Delegate at Large<br>
                      Havelock, NC<br>
                    *From:*Michael Oritt [mailto:<a
                      moz-do-not-send="true"
                      href="mailto:michael.oritt@gmail.com";
                      Now that we are all focused on the badge I would
                      like to put out a<br>
                      question--one that I have asked before and never
                      received what seemed<br>
                      to have been a definitive answer:<br>
                      How and when did "Austin-Healey" as written on the
                      earlier badges<br>
                      become "Austin Healey" as was done on the badges
                      for later cars?<br>
                      Best--Michael Oritt<br>
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"