Re: [Healeys] Fuel pump flustered

To: <llennep@verizon.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel pump flustered
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:16:11 +0100
It does seem likely that you have an air leak on the inlet side (tank to
pump).
A leak on the outlet side would be altogether wetter, messier and smellier.
You can do quite a simple test by:-
diverting the fuel from the carbs into a container
and sealing up your tank's filler pipe ie where you pump in the fuel. Use a
plastic bag and duct tape or similar effective bodge. If you manage to make
a good seal, you should hear the pump do its normal clickety click when you
switch on the ignition and then maintain its new/wrong rapid clicking. Once
it has done its best to create a vacuum in the tank, it would normally slow
down and stop. If there is an air leak, the clicking will continue and you
may be able to find it by, say, listening through a piece of garden hose run
around the pipework and connections.
Worked for me. Start at the most obvious which is the banjo connections.
They're brass and suffer from overzealous, ham fisted POs. May be just a
little loose or needing a little PTFE tape.....
Simon