Re: [Healeys] Coolant Expansion Bottle

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Coolant Expansion Bottle
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 14:09:20 +0100
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.4.0 a=9+rZDBEiDlHhcck0kWbJtElFXBc=:19 a=L24OOQBejmoA:10 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=al-YuqncFt05Kkqmz4YA:9 a=pILNOxqGKmIA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=G50zkmLvAAAA:8 a=tAmMsVm-wIO3enD5YbIA:9 a=MZMc9HtZsQg4SNBF:21 a=hTZeC7Yk6K0A:10 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10 a=GGGinmgZRQXmVEG1E52S:22 a=RV4FBlFgRbzKAjQJymB8:22 xcat=Undefined/Undefined none
--===============7349741408921041918==
 boundary="------------C7C8AC5243C4B3485E697CD6"

--------------C7C8AC5243C4B3485E697CD6

It will work fine on an unpressurised system. No real difference with a
pressurised system.
However the radiator cap needs to be absolutely airtight. You would
probably need an overflow bottle of minimum 2 litres. The hose in the
overflow bottle should end near the bottom or the overflow bottle should
have an inlet pipe at the bottom. It should also have a vent in the cover.
Fill the bottle halfway and keep replenishing for the first few weeks as
fluid will be drawn back into the radiator until it is full to the brim.
Kees Oudesluijs

Op 14-11-2016 om 21:37 schreef Patrick & Caroline Quinn:

> G?day
>
> I know the subject of fitting a coolant expansion bottle has been
> covered before, but this has a twist as it concerns a Healey and not
> an Austin-Healey.
>
> Our Healey Duncan has its original cooling system that is
> unpressurised. It?s assisted by an electric fan in front of the
> radiator, but with our warmer climate it persists is dumping its
> coolant out through the overflow pipe.
>
> The radiator cap is a screw on type and the overflow pipe exits the
> radiator header tank separately in front of the cap. Being
> unpressurised there is nothing to stop the hot and expanded coolant
> from exiting via the overflow pipe.
>
> I am thinking of fitting a coolant expansion bottle but am wondering
> if this will work on an unpressurised system. It seems to me that it
> should not make any difference, because if the coolant cannot escape
> to the outside world when it expands then it should flow back into the
> radiator once it cools.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Patrick Quinn
>
> Blue Mountains, Australia

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------C7C8AC5243C4B3485E697CD6

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      system. No real difference with a pressurised system.<br>
      However the radiator cap needs to be absolutely airtight. You
      would probably need an overflow bottle of minimum 2 litres. The
      hose in the overflow bottle should end near the bottom or the
      overflow bottle should have an inlet pipe at the bottom. It should
      also have a vent in the cover.<br>
      Fill the bottle halfway and keep replenishing for the first few
      weeks as fluid will be drawn back into the radiator until it is
      full to the brim.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 14-11-2016 om 21:37 schreef Patrick &amp; Caroline Quinn:<br>
      type="cite">
        charset=US-ASCII">
        medium)">
            coolant expansion bottle has been covered before, but this
            has a twist as it concerns a Healey and not an
            Austin-Healey.</span></p>
            cooling system that is unpressurised. It?s assisted by an
            electric fan in front of the radiator, but with our warmer
            climate it persists is dumping its coolant out through the
            overflow pipe.</span></p>
            and the overflow pipe exits the radiator header tank
            separately in front of the cap. Being unpressurised there is
            nothing to stop the hot and expanded coolant from exiting
            via the overflow pipe.</span></p>
            expansion bottle but am wondering if this will work on an
            unpressurised system. It seems to me that it should not make
            any difference, because if the coolant cannot escape to the
            outside world when it expands then it should flow back into
            the radiator once it cools.</span></p>
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"