[Healeys] Shell Rotella T vs. VR1

To: "'Tom Felts'" <tomfelts@windstream.net>, "'P.M. Pollock'" <pollpete@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [Healeys] Shell Rotella T vs. VR1
From: "Robert Begani" <rfbegani@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 17:22:47 -0400
Cc: 'Healeys' <healeys@autox.team.net>
Shell Rotella T is a line of heavy duty engine lubrication products produced by
Royal Dutch Shell. The line includes engine oils, gear oils and coolants. The
oil carries both the American Petroleum Institute (API) diesel "C" rating as
well as the API gasoline engine "S" rating. Ratings differ based on the oil.
Rotella oils like T3 15w-40 meets both the API CJ-4 and SM specifications, and
may be used in both gasoline and diesel engines. However, it is formulated
specifically for vehicles without catalytic converters, containing phosphorus
levels beyond the 600-800ppm range.[1] Therefore, Rotella is not recommended
for gasoline vehicles with catalytic converters due to the higher risk of
damaging these emission controls.[2] Newer formulations of Rotella T6 however
are API SM rated as safe for pre-2011 gasoline vehicles.

Shell is marketing their new CJ-4/SM oil as "Triple Protection," meaning it
provides enhanced qualities for engine wear, soot control and engine
cleanliness. Shell's Rotella website indicates that on-road testing confirms
the new Triple Protection technology produces better anti-wear characteristics
than their existing CI-4+ rated Rotella oil. This is achieved despite a lower
zinc and phosphorus additive level as called for by the API CJ-4 specification.
(The 15W-40 Rotella T with Triple Protection oil has approximately 1200 ppm of
zinc and 1100 ppm phosphorus at the time of manufacture.)

, though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella T6 5w-40
synthetic oil has also found popularity with drivers and tuners of gasoline
powered vehicles that utilize turbocharging or other forms of forced induction.
Several owners of high performance model cars have adopted its use due to its
high heat tolerance and its resistance to shearing. Rotella T6 is a Non Energy
Conserving Oil, and does not meet GF-5 Oil specifications. When Rotella T6 was
revised for the API specification(for use in spark ignition engines), its Zinc
levels were effectively reduced. Higher(content) Zinc Additives(ZDDP) are
required for flat tappet engines and cartridge bearings, which In previous
formulations Rotella T6 had desirable levels of Zinc(ZDDP)

I guess it is saying we have to use a bit of additive to T6 to bring it up to
1500 ppm? Or, the Triple Protection Technology gives us the same anti-wear
characteristics?
  Comments?

Bob Begani