Re: [Healeys] Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 @ walmart.com

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 @ walmart.com
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 18:00:45 -0700
Got a link or other documentation?  A few years ago it got pulled from
the shelves of my favorite local parts store, and no one seemed to know
why.  Lots of rumors that California had banned it, but a few months
later it was back on the parts store's shelves.

AFAIK, California has not banned any oil for ZDDP; it would have to ban
all the 'high zinc' additives, and all the other 20W-50 oils advertising
'high zinc' (Brad Penn, lucas, etc.).  Last time, I heard through the
mill it was Valvoline's doing (possibly due to the product being
re-labeled).  Zinc can be toxic--any welder will tell you not to weld
galvanized--but it's main issue is that it fouls catalytic converters.
Few, if any, new cars recommend 20W-50 oil (but I think some Porshes
spec 10W-60).

Bob