Re: [Healeys] Today's Rant

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Today's Rant
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 13:31:38 -0700

--------------B96ACA6743D7A241E94B107E

Note also there were no shields on the outboard side of the rotors
which, presumably would be just as exposed.  Completely enclosing the
rotors would obviate one of the advantages of disks (heat dissipation).

On 9/22/2019 10:36 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> IMHO in the early days of disc brakes I think Girling and Dunlop were
> a little over anxious about the effect that water and debris would
> have on a disc brake.
> As modern cars very seldom, if ever use such shields it seems that
> they were over cautious.

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM warthodson--- via Healeys
>
>     They are not *absolutely* necessary, but the factory didn't
>     install useless things for no reason. From you description it
>     sounds like you do not have the correct dust shield for your
>     backplate.
>
>     Gary

  <head>
  </head>
    Note also there were no shields on the outboard side of the rotors
    which, presumably would be just as exposed.  Completely enclosing
    the rotors would obviate one of the advantages of disks (heat
    dissipation).<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+VbQ5zCSRycJFwNReawLRMFgFP=zy66aOYg+dx_Lef=A@mail.gmail.com">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">IMHO in the early days of disc
          brakes I think Girling and Dunlop were a little over anxious
          about the effect that water and debris would have on a disc
          brake. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">As modern cars very seldom, if
          ever use such shields it seems that they were over cautious.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
          PM warthodson--- via Healeys &lt;<a
            href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
              factory didn't install useless things for no reason. From
              you description it sounds like you do not have the correct
              dust shield for your backplate. </div>

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black">-----Original
              Message-----<br>
              From: Michael MacLean &lt;<a
                href="mailto:rrengineer.mike@att.net"; target="_blank"
                moz-do-not-send="true">rrengineer.mike@att.net</a>&gt;<br>
                guys don't mind, here's today's rant.  I have struggling
                with fitting the backplates dust shields to my BN2 disc
                brake conversion.  These backplates would have to be
                fitted before the extended splined hub is assembled on
                the car.  I tried every way I thought they should be put
                on the car, but could not get the mounting tabs to line
                up with the caliper plate bolts.Not even close.  I'm
                ready to finish the front hubs and disc brakes without
                the backplates.  Is there any of you guys running
                conversions or standard disc brakes without these
                things?  Do I absolutely have to put these things on the
                car?  Ok, that's the rant for this week.
id="gmail-m_2646217165292179440yiv6658234910yMail_cursorElementTracker_1569165477135">Mike
                  MacLean<br>
id="gmail-m_2646217165292179440yiv6658234910yMail_cursorElementTracker_1569165447694"><br>

--------------B96ACA6743D7A241E94B107E--

--===============5515869223044321908==