Re: [Healeys] Oil Pressure and replacing the oil pump

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Pressure and replacing the oil pump
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 08:03:41 -0800

--------------957BBCDA87F7AC718FBDDFD3

Haven't heard anything about Moss's oil pumps, but if they're made by
County you have reason to be cautious; County water pumps are
notoriously bad for a number of reasons.  When I rebuilt my BJ8's engine
I sprung for a DWM 'high capacity' oil pump which, with the exchange
rate at the time and coming along with other parts was competitive.
Inspect the pump drive shaft; they can wear and you might need a
replacement (IIRC, the DWM shaft was /considerably /cheaper than Moss's).

I have a feeling there may be something else involved as well, like
bearings, but since you rebuilt the engine presumably you replaced main
and rod end bearings and checked clearances carefully?  What
viscosity/brand oil are you using?

Bob

On 12/30/2019 6:19 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Hi Robert, you are the second person that I have heard of who had that
> problem with "cheapo repo" push rods.
> It seems that those that are currently available are produced with too
> small a diameter of the cup so they seize on the rocker ball and break
> off.
> I would recommend that you inspect all the rocker ball ends carefully
> then install a set of good used push rods to prevent further problems.

> BTW depending upon who supplied the bad parts you may be able to
> recover the costs involved.
>

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 12:55 AM Robert Begani, <rfbegani@gmail.com
>
>     When I rebuilt the engine last year I did not replace the oil pump
>     because I had good oil pressure. Currently, from time to time,
>     while breaking in the engine I am driving the car round trip 20-30
>     miles down the Tamiami Trail which is an open road for that
>     stretch..  On a recent trip, the weather was cool, so the oil
>     pressure was running 35 to 40 psi while the engine temperature was
>     going up to 180 at 3000 rpm.  At 4000 rpm the temperature climbed
>     over 180 degrees and the oil pressure dropped below 30 psi. .  I
>     am considering replacing the oil pump and remember that there is a
>     discussion about the quality of Moss pumps. Maybe I should buy the
>     rebuild kit and change gears?
>
>     Oh by the way, on the last run all hell broke loose and had the
>     car towed home.  Seems the mushroom on top of one of the push rods
>     broke.  So I am replacing all 12 of them.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Bob Begani

--------------957BBCDA87F7AC718FBDDFD3

  <head>
  </head>
    Haven't heard anything about Moss's oil pumps, but if they're made
    by County you have reason to be cautious; County water pumps are
    notoriously bad for a number of reasons.  When I rebuilt my BJ8's
    engine I sprung for a DWM 'high capacity' oil pump which, with the
    exchange rate at the time and coming along with other parts was
    competitive.  Inspect the pump drive shaft; they can wear and you
    might need a replacement (IIRC, the DWM shaft was <i>considerably
</i>cheaper
    than Moss's).<br>
    I have a feeling there may be something else involved as well, like
    bearings, but since you rebuilt the engine presumably you replaced
    main and rod end bearings and checked clearances carefully?  What
    viscosity/brand oil are you using?<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+COqb2uo5Gpp-XL5P-sgcR+pDA0o=W=9FwaAEBXYJLxQ@mail.gmail.com">
          who had that problem with "cheapo repo" push rods.
            available are produced with too small a diameter of the cup
            so they seize on the rocker ball and break off.</div>
            rocker ball ends carefully then install a set of good used
            push rods to prevent further problems. </div>
            you may be able to recover the costs involved.</div>
              12:55 AM Robert Begani, &lt;<a
                href="mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">When
                      I rebuilt the engine last year I did not replace
                      the oil pump because I had good oil pressure.
                      Currently, from time to time, while breaking in
                      the engine I am driving the car round trip 20-30
                      miles down the Tamiami Trail which is an open road
                      for that stretch..  On a recent trip, the weather
                      was cool, so the oil pressure was running 35 to 40
                      psi while the engine temperature was going up to
                      180 at 3000 rpm.  At 4000 rpm the temperature
                      climbed over 180 degrees and the oil pressure
                      dropped below 30 psi. .  I am considering
                      replacing the oil pump and remember that there is
                      a discussion about the quality of Moss pumps.
                      Maybe I should buy the rebuild kit and change
                      gears?</span></p>

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"> </span></p>

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Oh
                      by the way, on the last run all hell broke loose
                      and had the car towed home.  Seems the mushroom on
                      top of one of the push rods broke.  So I am
                      replacing all 12 of them.</span></p>

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"> </span></p>

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Regards,</span></p>

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"> </span></p>

style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Bob
                      Begani</span></p>

--------------957BBCDA87F7AC718FBDDFD3--

--===============0658796153646458848==