Re: [Healeys] Michelin 180/ R15 XAS tires Fill up the wheel well too muc

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Michelin 180/ R15 XAS tires Fill up the wheel well too much and rub on late 67 BJ8
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 06:38:52 +0100

--------------AED0D9B5514FFBD05CF3B6F8

You may check the rubber bushes of the rear supension first. If they are
soft or worn they may allow to much movement of the rear axle.

The bolt can easily be shortened a bit using a Dremel tool. Fitting a
plastic nut cover can be fitted to protect the tyre.

Bodywork mods may cost more than a set of new tyres.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 18-2-2020 om 22:28 schreef Robert Begani:
> Listeners:
>
> I decided to use the larger 180/R XAS because those of you who owned them
> indicated they fill up the wheel well and do not rub.  The first 100 miles I
> did not hear or feel any rubbing until  I took a couple of sharp turns and
> heard rubbing on the rear tires.   Because I am replacing the fuel pump, I
> had the opportunity to look carefully at the cause of the rubbing.  On the
> right rear wheel the rubbing is evident at the edge of the dog leg as you
> can see in first picture.  My dog legs have been repaired during the frame
> off restoration with a skin panel and the dimensions may not be original.
>
> Last picture the lower part of the panel is 9 1/2 inches to the door frame.
> The  one on the other side is 9 1/8 inches long. As you can see the gap with
> the wheel in the second to last picture.  It has a larger gap than the right
> side.   However, that dog leg shows wear also.  As you can see in the second
> picture inside the dog leg skin on the right side attaches to the frame on
> an angle.  I am proposing slicing off one inch of skin.  I have a friend who
> is an artist with a cutoff saw, can weld a bead on anything and create a
> rolled edge.  What would you say to this fix?
>
> Also, on the inside of the wheel well you can see the nut holding the radius
> arm sticks out from the indentation into the well and shows light rubbing on
> the tire.  I am proposing cutting off the excess thread and then giving it a
> smooth dressing which would not disturb the strength of the bolt and or
> cause it to unscrew.  What do you think of this fix?
>
> Of course, a little paint afterwards.
>
> I like the ride of the tires and the feel of the road.  I want to keep them.
>

> Regards,
>
> Bob Begani

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------AED0D9B5514FFBD05CF3B6F8

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      they are soft or worn they may allow to much movement of the rear
      axle.</p>
      Fitting a plastic nut cover can be fitted to protect the tyre.</p>
      Begani:<br>
      cite="mid:012201d5e6a2$54d23390$fe769ab0$@gmail.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Listeners:

[...]

</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>