Re: [Healeys] Tach rebuild

To: "banjojohn@cox.net" <banjojohn@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tach rebuild
From: Aol Mail via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 21:29:56 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_1265892_1804299791.1606253396957

John,

Last month I had my tach rebuilt by West Valley Instruments in Reseda Calif=
ornia. I had it done so that it would work with electronic ignition or poin=
ts. It=E2=80=99s more expensive to rebuild for electronic ignition, IIRC $3=
15 including return shipping. I think it is $285 to have it rebuilt for poi=
nts. It becomes electronic pick up instead of induction pick up, i.e. the l=
oop in the back of the tach is replaced by a single wire sticking out. You =
have to connect that single wire to the distributor side of the coil. I use=
d the white w/ black tracer wire for the trunk battery master switch that g=
rounds the points. I had to cut it off from the wire that it is paired with=
 and add a spade connector to attach it to the other coil terminal. This wi=
re has a junction right in front of the driver side of the firewall. I repl=
aced the single Lucas connector with a double and tied the white wire from =
the tach into that wire and ran it through an existing grommet hole in the =
firewall. This connects the distributor side of the coil and the tach witho=
ut adding a non-original looking wire to your harness. It grounds the tach =
when the battery switch is off, which of course is not a problem. My only c=
omplaint is that the tachometer needle seems to have a lot of dampening, bu=
t that shouldn=E2=80=99t really be an issue.

Chuck Ott67 BJ8, 69 AN9

> On Nov 24, 2020, at 3:29 PM, John OBrien <banjojohn@cox.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFHi Listers:
>=20
> The tach on=C2=A0 my BJ8 does not show the correct RPMs.=C2=A0 On a cool =
morning it shows what I believe is fairly close to the right numbers, but a=
s the car warm, or the day warms, it reads higher and higher for the same s=
peed.=C2=A0 I know it is not the clutch slipping.=C2=A0 I saw some articles=
 in Healey Marque magazine showing how to rebuild and test them, but it req=
uires a oscilloscope and some other specialized equipment I don't have, so =
I'm wondering if you guys have a recommendation for someone that might rebu=
ild them.
>=20
> I imagine there is also some info in the archives, but my antivirus softw=
are flags the archive site as a malicious website and doesn't want to let m=
e access it.
>=20
> Thanks for any info.
>=20
> John O'Brien
>=20
> '61 bugeye (Lucy)
>=20
> '65 BJ8 (Madelyn)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/chuckns=
ueo@aol.com
>=20
------=_Part_1265892_1804299791.1606253396957

d my tach rebuilt by West Valley Instruments in Reseda California. I had it=
 done so that it would work with electronic ignition or points. It=E2=80=99=
s more expensive to rebuild for electronic ignition, IIRC $315 including re=
turn shipping. I think it is $285 to have it rebuilt for points. It becomes=
 electronic pick up instead of induction pick up, i.e. the loop in the back=
 of the tach is replaced by a single wire sticking out. You have to connect=
 that single wire to the distributor side of the coil. I used the white w/ =
black tracer wire for the trunk battery master switch that grounds the poin=
ts. I had to cut it off from the wire that it is paired with and add a spad=
e connector to attach it to the other coil terminal. This wire has a juncti=
on right in front of the driver side of the firewall. I replaced the single=
 Lucas connector with a double and tied the white wire from the tach into t=
hat wire and ran it through an existing grommet hole in the firewall. This =
connects the distributor side of the coil and the tach without adding a non=
-original looking wire to your harness. It grounds the tach when the batter=
y switch is off, which of course is not a problem. My only complaint is tha=
t the tachometer needle seems to have a lot of dampening, but that shouldn=
=E2=80=99t really be an issue.<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Chuck O=
tt</div>

ov 24, 2020, at 3:29 PM, John OBrien &lt;<a shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailt=
o:banjojohn@cox.net" href=3D"mailto:banjojohn@cox.net";>banjojohn@cox.net</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; =EF=BB=BFHi Lis=
ters:<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; The tach on&nbsp; my B=
J8 does not show the correct RPMs.&nbsp; On a cool morning it shows what I =
believe is fairly close to the right numbers, but as the car warm, or the d=
ay warms, it reads higher and higher for the same speed.&nbsp; I know it is=
 not the clutch slipping.&nbsp;  I saw some articles in Healey Marque magaz=
ine showing how to rebuild and test them, but it requires a oscilloscope an=
d some other specialized equipment I don't have, so I'm wondering if you gu=
ys have a recommendation for someone that might rebuild them.<br clear=3D"n=
one">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; I imagine there is also some info in the =
archives, but my antivirus software flags the archive site as a malicious w=
ebsite and doesn't want to let me access it.<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br cle=
ar=3D"none">&gt; Thanks for any info.<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"n=
one">&gt; John O'Brien<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; '61 b=
ugeye (Lucy)<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; '65 BJ8 (Madely=
______________________________________________<br clear=3D"none">&gt; Suppo=
rt Team.Net <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br clear=3D"none">&gt; Su=
ggested annual donation&nbsp; $12.75<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"no=
ne">&gt; Archive: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/h=
ealeys " target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys </a><a sha=
pe=3D"rect" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; target=3D"_blank">http:/=
<a shape=3D"rect" ymailto=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"; href=3D"mailto:=
Healeys@autox.team.net">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br clear=3D"none">&gt; <=
=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape=3D"rect=
" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/chucknsueo@aol.com"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/chucknsueo=

------=_Part_1265892_1804299791.1606253396957--

--===============9181169282969536743==