Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

To: Neil Anderson <neilandcustom@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 14:00:40 -0800
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------134EC0CF423778E3798806E0

Nope. For once, I'm NOT confused. I've acquired an interest in chassis
geometry WRT to handling characteristics (and can't spend ALL my time
correcting people on the interwebs ;).  I know Healey geometry is
usually fixed; but my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable camber plates, and I
acquired a set of shock plate inserts for my BJ8. I believe I can remove
the ends of the shock plates, remove the captive nuts and lengthen and
widen the holes enough to allow a couple degrees of camber adjustment
and maybe a degree or two of caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel
alignment kit to do the measuring.

My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so when I
installed a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has 2-2.5deg pos.
caster; I think lessening that a little might decrease steering effort
(which may be normal, but I've only driven this one BN2). If it makes
the car too 'squirrely' I can fiddle with it until I get the handling I
like.

Bob

On 1/4/2021 1:36 PM, Neil Anderson wrote:
> Bob,
> I think you mean camber angle.  Caster is the forward/rearward angle
> inclination of the swivel upright, which is permanently set on a
> Healey.  Camber is the top inward or outward angle tilt of the wheel
> when viewed front front.
>
> Not sure what the factory camber angle is, but what you stated is
> probably close.
>
> Neil Anderson
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021, 2:28 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net
>
>     Listers,
>
>     What's the recommended setting (my version of the shop manual doesn't
>     specify one)? I think the BJ8 manual recommends 1-2deg pos.
>
>     Bob

--------------134EC0CF423778E3798806E0

  <head>
  </head>
    Nope. For once, I'm NOT confused. I've acquired an interest in
    chassis geometry WRT to handling characteristics (and can't spend
    ALL my time correcting people on the interwebs ;).  I know Healey
    geometry is usually fixed; but my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable
    camber plates, and I acquired a set of shock plate inserts for my
    BJ8. I believe I can remove the ends of the shock plates, remove the
    captive nuts and lengthen and widen the holes enough to allow a
    couple degrees of camber adjustment and maybe a degree or two of
    caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel alignment kit to do the
    measuring.<br>
    My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so when I
    installed a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has 2-2.5deg pos.
    caster; I think lessening that a little might decrease steering
    effort (which may be normal, but I've only driven this one BN2). If
    it makes the car too 'squirrely' I can fiddle with it until I get
    the handling I like.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAHZDnjoTa8HkxT4JTSbPGuB_k0NkFkW_-EcnYOhSkPDnXECKxg@mail.gmail.com">
            forward/rearward angle inclination of the swivel upright,
            which is permanently set on a Healey.  Camber is the top
            inward or outward angle tilt of the wheel when viewed front
            front.</div>
            what you stated is probably close.  </div>
          Neil Anderson</div>
              PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
              What's the recommended setting (my version of the shop
              manual doesn't <br>
              specify one)? I think the BJ8 manual recommends 1-2deg
              pos.<br>
              Bob<br>

--------------134EC0CF423778E3798806E0--

--===============6122455126969043927==