Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 14:19:50 -0800
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------53DAE29105FEDCC1E1ABB6A1

Soooooo ... that could be the cause of hard turning?

On 1/4/2021 2:12 PM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Castor should be 1 3/4 degrees ... it's in the factory manual ..
> Bear in mind that sagged rear springs can add to that.
> 2 1/2 degrees is way too much.

> On Mon., Jan. 4, 2021, 5:01 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net
>
>     Nope. For once, I'm NOT confused. I've acquired an interest in
>     chassis geometry WRT to handling characteristics (and can't spend
>     ALL my time correcting people on the interwebs ;).  I know Healey
>     geometry is usually fixed; but my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable
>     camber plates, and I acquired a set of shock plate inserts for my
>     BJ8. I believe I can remove the ends of the shock plates, remove
>     the captive nuts and lengthen and widen the holes enough to allow
>     a couple degrees of camber adjustment and maybe a degree or two of
>     caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel alignment kit to do the
>     measuring.
>
>     My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so when I
>     installed a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has 2-2.5deg pos.
>     caster; I think lessening that a little might decrease steering
>     effort (which may be normal, but I've only driven this one BN2).
>     If it makes the car too 'squirrely' I can fiddle with it until I
>     get the handling I like.
>
>     Bob
>
>     On 1/4/2021 1:36 PM, Neil Anderson wrote:
>>     Bob,
>>     I think you mean camber angle.  Caster is the forward/rearward
>>     angle inclination of the swivel upright, which is permanently set
>>     on a Healey.  Camber is the top inward or outward angle tilt of
>>     the wheel when viewed front front.
>>
>>     Not sure what the factory camber angle is, but what you stated is
>>     probably close.
>>
>>     Neil Anderson
>>
>>     On Mon, Jan 4, 2021, 2:28 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net
>>
>>         Listers,
>>
>>         What's the recommended setting (my version of the shop manual
>>         doesn't
>>         specify one)? I think the BJ8 manual recommends 1-2deg pos.
>>
>>         Bob

--------------53DAE29105FEDCC1E1ABB6A1

  <head>
  </head>
    Soooooo ... that could be the cause of hard turning?<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LJegjCCWg-x6tkFNmNzgfPO3F23H8iJ-kYfpurgkusFsQ@mail.gmail.com">
        factory manual ..
          that.</div>
          p.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            interest in chassis geometry WRT to handling characteristics
            (and can't spend ALL my time correcting people on the
            interwebs ;).  I know Healey geometry is usually fixed; but
            my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable camber plates, and I
            acquired a set of shock plate inserts for my BJ8. I believe
            I can remove the ends of the shock plates, remove the
            captive nuts and lengthen and widen the holes enough to
            allow a couple degrees of camber adjustment and maybe a
            degree or two of caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel
            alignment kit to do the measuring.<br>
            My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so
            when I installed a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has
            2-2.5deg pos. caster; I think lessening that a little might
            decrease steering effort (which may be normal, but I've only
            driven this one BN2). If it makes the car too 'squirrely' I
            can fiddle with it until I get the handling I like.<br>
            Bob<br>
                    is the forward/rearward angle inclination of the
                    swivel upright, which is permanently set on a
                    Healey.  Camber is the top inward or outward angle
                    tilt of the wheel when viewed front front.</div>
                    is, but what you stated is probably close.  </div>
                  Neil Anderson</div>
                      2021, 2:28 PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
                        rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
                        moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
                      .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc
solid;padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
                      What's the recommended setting (my version of the
                      shop manual doesn't <br>
                      specify one)? I think the BJ8 manual recommends
                      1-2deg pos.<br>
                      Bob<br>

--------------53DAE29105FEDCC1E1ABB6A1--

--===============4604490352218943808==