Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 17:12:31 -0500
Cc: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--00000000000094259405b81a63ec

Castor should be 1 3/4 degrees ... it's in the factory manual ..
Bear in mind that sagged rear springs can add to that.
2 1/2 degrees is way too much.

On Mon., Jan. 4, 2021, 5:01 p.m. Bob Spidell, <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:

> Nope. For once, I'm NOT confused. I've acquired an interest in chassis
> geometry WRT to handling characteristics (and can't spend ALL my time
> correcting people on the interwebs ;).  I know Healey geometry is usually
> fixed; but my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable camber plates, and I acquired a
> set of shock plate inserts for my BJ8. I believe I can remove the ends of
> the shock plates, remove the captive nuts and lengthen and widen the holes
> enough to allow a couple degrees of camber adjustment and maybe a degree or
> two of caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel alignment kit to do the
> measuring.
>
> My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so when I installed
> a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has 2-2.5deg pos. caster; I think
> lessening that a little might decrease steering effort (which may be
> normal, but I've only driven this one BN2). If it makes the car too
> 'squirrely' I can fiddle with it until I get the handling I like.
>
> Bob
>
> On 1/4/2021 1:36 PM, Neil Anderson wrote:
>
> Bob,
> I think you mean camber angle.  Caster is the forward/rearward angle
> inclination of the swivel upright, which is permanently set on a Healey.
> Camber is the top inward or outward angle tilt of the wheel when viewed
> front front.
>
> Not sure what the factory camber angle is, but what you stated is probably
> close.
>
> Neil Anderson
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021, 2:28 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Listers,
>>
>> What's the recommended setting (my version of the shop manual doesn't
>> specify one)? I think the BJ8 manual recommends 1-2deg pos.
>>
>> Bob

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--00000000000094259405b81a63ec

y manual ..<div dir=3D"auto">Bear in mind that sagged rear springs can add =
_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon., Jan. 4, 2021, 5:01 p=
.m. Bob Spidell, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";>bspidell@comca=
argin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Nope. For once, I&#39;m NOT confused. I&#39;ve acquired an interest in
    chassis geometry WRT to handling characteristics (and can&#39;t spend
    ALL my time correcting people on the interwebs ;).=C2=A0 I know Healey
    geometry is usually fixed; but my BN2 has Kilmartin adjustable
    camber plates, and I acquired a set of shock plate inserts for my
    BJ8. I believe I can remove the ends of the shock plates, remove the
    captive nuts and lengthen and widen the holes enough to allow a
    couple degrees of camber adjustment and maybe a degree or two of
    caster adjustment. I bought a 4-wheel alignment kit to do the
    measuring.<br>
    My BN2 is surprisingly hard to turn, and only got more so when I
    installed a smaller diameter steering wheel. It has 2-2.5deg pos.
    caster; I think lessening that a little might decrease steering
    effort (which may be normal, but I&#39;ve only driven this one BN2). If
    it makes the car too &#39;squirrely&#39; I can fiddle with it until I g=
et
    the handling I like.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
the
            forward/rearward angle inclination of the swivel upright,
            which is permanently set on a Healey.=C2=A0 Camber is the top
            inward or outward angle tilt of the wheel when viewed front
            front.</div>
            what you stated is probably close.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div>
          Neil Anderson</div>
              PM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; re=
l=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
              wrote:<br>
rder-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Listers,<br>
              What&#39;s the recommended setting (my version of the shop
              manual doesn&#39;t <br>
              specify one)? I think the BJ8 manual recommends 1-2deg
              pos.<br>
              Bob<br>

rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=