Re: [Healeys] Overheating

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overheating
From: Roger Grace <roggrace@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 16:27:55 -0800
Cc: Healey List <Healeys@autox.team.net>

--00000000000017143105bcfb8291

Gents found what I was looking for ... do read this.
http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20Folder/Engine%20Coolin=
g.html
BTW flow direction is out at top.
rg

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 2:53 PM Michael Salter via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Not wanting to nit-pick Harold but I believe that this statement is
> incorrect and could result in considerable confusion:
> *"If the water flow rate decreases by 20% the water temperature at the to=
> of radiator will increase slightly and will drop slightly at bottom of th=
> radiator." *
> Coolant exits the engine from the water pump and is pumped to the bottom
> of the radiator.
> With everything else being equal, a decrease in the rate of flow of the
> coolant will result in the coolant staying in the radiator longer thus
> allowing more time for the transfer of heat to air.
> The result of the slower flow would be a LOWER temperature at the outlet
> "top" the radiator assuming of course that the radiator inlet temperature
> remains constant.
> Of course with slower flow the converse will occur within the engine
> because, as there is more time for the heat of the engine block to be
> transferred into the coolant, the coolant will be hotter as it exits the
> block at the water pump and travels to the radiator inlet "bottom".
> We 100 owners think about such things a lot :-)

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Harold Manifold via Healeys <
> healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> Like many of you I have been cooped up for the past 12 months waiting fo=
>> a vaccine and for life to return to normal. I have been happily occupyin=
>> my time doing a complete restoration of a BT7 and had lots of time to
>> consider what upgrades or modifications are recommended to overcome some=
 of
>> inherent Healey problems. I come to realize maintaining a consistent
>> temperature of the cooling water is an issue. With little else to do whi=
le
>> in lock down I looked into the factors that affect cooling to see if it
>> would point to any obvious upgrades. The design of automobile cooling
>> systems is very complicated but can be distilled down to a few key facto=
rs.
>> Identifying the factors that have the greatest influence on the system w=
ill
>> help to point to possible solutions or remedies. I will suggest some of =
the
>> factors may not be as obvious as others.
>>
>> The job of the cooling system is to remove the engine heat generated. If
>> the capacity of the cooling system to remove heat (i.e. BTU's or HP) is
>> greater than the engine heat generated in all situations then the system
>> will reach a steady state. For most Healey's driving on flat road at 60 =
MPH
> [...]
>> thermostat when driving at 60 MPH then the thermostat is no longer
>> controlling the system and the water temperature will change when one of
>> the critical variables changes. Often the conclusion is changing
>> thermostats, fans or using some exotic coolant. I will risk the wrath of
>> this forum and suggest one of the clues to solving the slow speed proble=
>> is look at what is happening at 60 MPH. If the water temperature is abov=
>> the thermostat rating while driving at highway speeds then factors 1 and=
 2
>> above are likely the issue. In other words there is no reserve capacity =
in
>> the cooling system and soon as air next to the core gets hotter the wate=
>> temperature increases.
>>
>> The engine heat generated is a major factor, the less heat the marginal
>> Healey cooling system has to deal with the better. If the engine heat
>> generated can be reduced by 20% the water temperature will decrease by 2=
2
>> deg F. The factors that affect engine heat generated are: losses due to
>> friction, air/fuel mixture and engine timing. If the air/fuel mixture is
>> too lean it will cause the engine to generate more heat. A fuel pump tha=
>> maintains the minimum required fuel pressure at all engine speeds and we=
ll
>> tuned and jetted carburetors are important. The correct ignition timing =
and
>> the mechanical and vacuum advance curves are very important to reduce he=
at
>> generated.
>>
>> Lastly we have the radiator heat transfer coefficient. The coefficient i=
>> based on the design of the radiator, number of tubes, rows of tubes, typ=
>> of fins, density of fins, area of radiator, materials used to construct =
the
>> radiator, etc. The units are BTU/hr/deg F. If some radiator tubes are bl=
ock
>> or have reduced flow, if the fins are damaged or fowled with debris, if =
the
>> radiator has cracks or spilt seams or if the radiator top tank is not fu=
ll
>> the radiator will not perform at its optimum. If in doubt have a radiato=
>> shop boil out the radiator and pressure test.
>>
>> It seems some Healey's don't have a problem with over heating while
>> others do. One possible explanation is the Healey cooling system is
>> marginal at best and all of the factors that could affect overheating mu=
st
>> be in harmony with little room for forgiveness.
>>
>> The upgrades I have done are a plastic 5 bladed fan, new stock radiator
>> core, 123 ignition and bungs on the exhaust for oxygen sensors. Time wil=
>> tell if these helped tame the cooling system.
>>
>> I hope this helps and isn't killing a fly with an elephant gun.

/div><div><a href=3D"http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20Root%20F=
older/Engine%20Cooling.html">http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Basics%20=
r=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 2:53 PM Michael Salte=
r via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.t=
margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-lef=
t:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:sma=
ll"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">Not wanting to nit-pick Ha=
rold but I believe that this statement is incorrect and could result in con=
siderable confusion:</span></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font=
-size:small">
0000ff">&quot;If the water flow rate decreases by 20% the water temperature=
=20
at the top of radiator will increase slightly and will drop slightly at bot=
tom=20
ult" style=3D"font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif"=
>Coolant exits the engine from the water pump and is pumped to the bottom o=
-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">With everything e=
lse being equal, a decrease in the rate of flow of the coolant will result =
in the coolant staying in the radiator longer thus allowing more time for t=
tyle=3D"font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">The r=
esult of the slower flow would be a LOWER temperature at the outlet &quot;t=
op&quot; the radiator assuming of course that the radiator inlet temperatur=
font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">Of course wit=
h slower flow the converse will occur within the engine because, as there i=
s more time for the heat of the engine block to be transferred into the coo=
lant, the coolant will be hotter as it exits the block at the water pump an=
d travels to the radiator inlet &quot;bottom&quot;.</span></div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:ari=
al,sans-serif">We 100 owners think about such things a lot :-)<br></span></=
div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><span style=3D"f=
style=3D"font-size:small"><span style=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif">M<br=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Har=
old Manifold via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; targ=
ass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid=
 rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

=3D"#0000ff">Like many of you I have been cooped up for the past 12 months=
=20
waiting for a vaccine and for life to return to normal. I have been happily=
=20
occupying my time doing a complete restoration of a BT7 and had lots of tim=
e to=20
consider what upgrades or modifications are recommended to overcome some of=
=20
inherent Healey problems. I come to realize maintaining a consistent temper=
ature=20
of the cooling water is an issue. With little else to do while in lock down=
 I=20
looked into the factors that affect cooling to see if it would point to any=
=20
obvious upgrades. The design of automobile cooling systems is very complica=
ted=20
but can=C2=A0be distilled down to a few key factors. Identifying the factor=
s=20
that have the greatest influence on the system will help to point to possib=
le=20
solutions or remedies. I will suggest some of the factors may not be as obv=
ious=20
=3D"#0000ff">The job of the cooling system is to remove the engine heat=20
generated. If the capacity of the cooling system to remove heat (i.e.=20
BTU&#39;s=C2=A0or HP) is greater than the engine heat generated in all situ=
ations=20
then the system will reach a steady state. For most Healey&#39;s driving on=
 flat=20
road at 60 MPH when=C2=A0ambient temperature is less than 80 F everything i=
s in=20
balance. For many Healey&#39;s the situation changes at lower engine RPM&#3=
9;s and=20
vehicle speeds. What are the critical variables that=C2=A0affect the water=
=20
=3D"#0000ff">3. Air temperature or more importantly the difference between=
=20
air temperature and the radiator cooling fin temperature.</font></span></di=
v>
=3D"#0000ff">At slower engine/vehicle speeds hotter air from the engine bay=
=20
can surround the radiator and the water flow rate=C2=A0drops. We can estima=
te=20
=3D"#0000ff">If the air temperature at the radiator core increases from 80=
=20
to=C2=A0100 deg F the water temperature will increase approximately=20
g F. All things being equal the water temperature will increase=20
approximately 1 deg F per degree increase in air=20
=3D"#0000ff">If the water flow rate decreases by 20% the water temperature=
=20
at the top of radiator will increase slightly and will drop slightly at bot=
tom=20
=3D"#0000ff">If the water temperature was above the full open temperate of=
=20
the thermostat when=C2=A0driving at 60 MPH then the thermostat is no longer=
=20
controlling the system and the water temperature will=C2=A0change when one =
of=20
the critical variables changes.=C2=A0Often the conclusion is changing=20
thermostats, fans or using some exotic coolant. I will risk the wrath of th=
is=20
forum and suggest one of the clues to solving the slow speed problem is loo=
k at=20
what is happening at 60 MPH. If the water temperature is above the thermost=
at=20
rating while driving at highway speeds then factors 1 and 2 above are likel=
y the=20
issue. In other words there is no reserve capacity in the cooling system an=
d=20
soon as air next to the core gets hotter the water temperature=20
=3D"#0000ff">The=C2=A0engine heat generated is a major factor, the less=20
heat the marginal Healey cooling system has to deal with the better. If the=
=20
engine heat generated can be reduced by 20% the water temperature will decr=
ease=20
by 22 deg F. The factors that affect engine heat generated are: losses due =
to=20
friction, air/fuel mixture and engine timing. If the air/fuel mixture is to=
o=20
lean it will cause the engine to generate more heat. A fuel pump that maint=
ains=20
the minimum required fuel pressure at all engine speeds and well tuned and=
=20
jetted carburetors are important. The correct ignition timing and the mecha=
nical=20
and vacuum advance curves are very important to reduce heat=20
=3D"#0000ff">Lastly we have the radiator heat transfer coefficient. The=20
coefficient is based on the design of the radiator, number of tubes, rows o=
f=20
tubes, type of fins, density of fins, area of radiator, materials used to=
=20
construct the radiator, etc. The units are BTU/hr/deg F. If some radiator t=
ubes=20
are block or have reduced flow, if the fins are damaged or fowled with debr=
is,=20
if the radiator has cracks or spilt seams=C2=A0or if the radiator top tank =
is=20
not full the radiator will not perform at its optimum.=C2=A0If in doubt hav=
e a=20
radiator shop boil out the radiator=C2=A0and pressure test.</font></span></=
div>
=3D"#0000ff">It seems some Healey&#39;s don&#39;t have a problem with over =
heating=20
while others do. One possible explanation is the Healey cooling system is=
=20
marginal at best and all of the factors that could affect overheating must=
=20
be=C2=A0in harmony=C2=A0with=C2=A0little room for=20
=3D"#0000ff">The upgrades=C2=A0I have done are a plastic 5 bladed fan, new=
=20
stock radiator core, 123 ignition and bungs on the exhaust for oxygen senso=
rs.=20
=3D"#0000ff">I hope this helps and isn&#39;t killing a fly with an elephant=
=20
<hr>
[mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank"=
=20
:rgb(0,0,0)">So=20
first step is to make sure your temperature gauge is accurate. If you are s=
till=20
running hot I solved the problem by adding an additional row to a factory=
=20
original radiator.=C2=A0 Haven&#39;t had any problem with overheating since=
. I had=20
already tried adding an electric fan, an oil cooler and a Texas fan. Nothin=
g=20
worked.=C2=A0</div>
nd"></div>
:rgb(0,0,0)"><br></div>
<hr style=3D"width:98%;display:inline-block">

Msg" dir=3D"ltr"><font style=3D"font-size:11pt" face=3D"Calibri, sans-serif=
" color=3D"#000000"><b>From:</b> Healeys=20
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">hea=
leys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; on behalf of <a href=3D"mailto:rfbegani=
@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">rfbegani@gmail.com</a>=20
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:rfbegani@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">rfbegani@gmail.=
er@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;; &#39;Bob S=
pidell&#39;=20
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comc=
ast.net</a>&gt;; &#39;Ahealey help&#39;=20
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">healeys@aut=
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Bob &amp=
;=20
Mike:</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">You both=
 may have seen=20
my requests on overheating of my BJ8 and the response from the group.=C2=A0=
 As a=20
result, I purchased an infrared thermometer to determine if my water gauge =
was=20
giving accurate readings.=C2=A0 The thermometer gun told me that my water g=
auge=20
was 30 degrees higher than the temperature of the sensor attached to the=20
block.=C2=A0 At the same time, I noticed my gauge will show 120 degrees at =
rest=20
instead of going down to 90 degrees which would indicate a 30-degree high=
=20
reading.=C2=A0 In May when I leave for cool Michigan, I will send the gauge=
 to=20
Nisonger to be rebuilt.</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I began =
to test the=20
temperature of the water going through the cooling system at the inlet to a=
nd=20
outlet from the block, inlet and outlet to the radiator and the upper and l=
ower=20
hoses while the engine is running at idle and at 2-3 Thousand rpm.=C2=A0 Th=
e=20
chart I created to record these temperatures allowed me to produce observat=
ions=20
or averages because the flow of the water is dependent upon the rpms of the=
=20
engine.=C2=A0 The engine has overheated all of the 40 years I have owned it=
 and=20
has only 1000 miles on the new speedo since rebuilding to 20 over. </span><=
/p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">At the r=
adiator inlet=20
134 outlet 85 at high rpms with electric fan operating.</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">=C2=A0=
=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=
=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=20
inlet 103 outlet 94 at idle rpms with electric fan operating. </span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">The abov=
e temperatures=20
are recorded at the inlet and all along the hoses.</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">These te=
mperatures=20
indicate the pump is circulating water with sufficient gallons to cool the=
=20
engine only when the engine is at high rpms.=C2=A0 At idle the pump does no=
t=20
circulate sufficient water to keep the engine cool.=C2=A0 This is especiall=
y=20
true when you have been operating the engine at high speed and come down to=
 30 =E2=80=93=20
40 mph and stop and go traffic.=C2=A0 Maybe the real answer is to install a=
n=20
electric pump for constant cooling water?</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">In the p=
ast week, I=20
have installed a large Dorman coolant recovery tank and a new 7 psi 1 inch=
=20
radiator cap because I learned that our radiators have a long neck.=C2=A0 B=
oth=20
those changes have reduced my problem of very high overheating and resultin=
g=20
boiling over.=C2=A0 In addition, when my water gauge shows 212 degrees the =
water=20
temperature is actually 30 degrees less or approximately 185 degrees.=C2=A0=
=20
Also, I am not boiling over and loosing coolant.=C2=A0 Nevertheless, the en=
gine=20
water temperature is still spiking to 210 plus degrees true when coming off=
=20
highway speeds.=C2=A0 </span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">In my re=
view of various=20
sites, the radiator equipment suppliers and others are recommending increas=
ing=20
the pressure in the classic car systems to 15 psi plus, and coolant recover=
y=20
tanks =E2=80=9Cif your coolant system, radiator, hoses etc. is new=E2=80=9D=
 and therefore can=20
hold the pressure.=C2=A0 Unfortunately, I have not found any maker of a 1 i=
nch=20
depth x 2.33 inch diameter radiator cap except our 7 psi cap so I can try s=
uch a=20
pressurized system.</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Another =
suggestion on=20
an older discussion at the British Car Forum indicated some of the Ontario =
car=20
owners had switched to Evans Waterless Coolant rather than 50/50 coolant wa=
ter=20
mixture.</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I still =
have no idea=20
why a minority of our group has overheating problems.=C2=A0 More=20
ideas?</span></p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Regards,=
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Bob Bega=
ni 67 BJ8=20
 style=3D"font-size:14pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif"></span>=
=C2=A0</p>
r-style:solid none none;border-width:1pt medium medium;padding:3pt 0in 0in"=

om:</b>=20
Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_bl=
pumps</p></div>
=A0</p>
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Yes Bob,=
 there is=20
something wrong with our assumptions regarding the cooling system not being=
=20
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">My wifes=
 Maxima is=20
around 300 HP and the radiator has less area than the 100. Certainly it has=
 a=20
couple of very effective electric fans but they really don&#39;t cut in ver=
y often=20
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">I&#39;m =
suspicious of the=20
rate of circulation but I&#39;ve talked to Larry Varley about this subject =
and he=20
indicated that increasing the size of the water pump annular orifice didn&#=
39;t make=20
much difference when he tried it.</span><span style=3D"font-size:12pt"></sp=
an></p></div>
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">M</span>=
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;"></span>=C2=
=A0</p></div>
 style=3D"font-size:12pt;font-family:&quot;Comic Sans MS&quot;">M</span></p=
=A0</p>
t,=20
Mar 6, 2021 at 11:42 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.=
b(204,204,204);border-style:none none none solid;border-width:medium medium=
 medium 1pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 6pt;margin-left:4.8pt;margin-right:0in">
12pt 11.4pt">I=20
  sold my late father&#39;s 1955 Thunderbird to my BFF. These cars have a v=
ery=20
  similar problem to Healeys overheating, esp. at idle. When Ford stuffed t=
he=20
  292ci Y-Block into the T-Bird, they found the engine was (essentially) to=
o=20
  short for the long-hooded car, so they &#39;engineered&#39;--I use the te=
rm loosely--a=20
  cast iron spacer to move the fan closer to the radiator. The spacer had t=
he=20
  added &#39;benefit&#39; of severely limiting coolant flow through the pum=
p and=20
  radiator; there are some aftermarket fixes and my friend, after doing the=
=20
  usual radiator re-core, better fan, etc. installed both a better pump (la=
rger=20
  vanes) and a re-engineered spacer. Attached pic is not of the spacer he=
=20
  used--I can&#39;t find the link to it--but it shows the general idea (For=
d=20
  basically put a &#39;dam&#39; in the cooling system to block flow, and th=
e improved=20
  spacers mostly remove it). It appears this approach has improved cooling,=
=20
  though the engine probably still gets warm if it has to sit too long at i=
dle.=20
  Link is to one of the improved pumps:<br><br><a href=3D"https://www.class=
ictbird.com/Water-Pump-Modified-for-Higher-Output-1-Per-car/productinfo/850=
1HO/" target=3D"_blank">https://www.classictbird.com/Water-Pump-Modified-fo=
  after doing all the usual stuff to increase cooling, esp. on my BJ8, I&#3=
9;ve=20
  wondered if a similar approach would work on Healeys. Their pumps have ve=
ry=20
  small vanes, and the cavity in which the vanes operate seems pretty small=
 for=20
  such a large lump of cast iron (I&#39;m guessing an uprated radiator core=
 won&#39;t=20
  help much if the coolant flow is still hampered; at least, that&#39;s wha=
t I&#39;ve=20
  found). This is probably not an option as, of course, our engines don&#39=
;t have a=20
  similar spacer to be improved upon, and it would be a major task to incre=
ase=20
  both the cavity&#39;s size and the pump (but I can dream).<br><br>ps. The=
=20
  overheating issue with Healeys is usually attributed to too big of an eng=
ine=20
  in too small of an engine compartment, and too little airflow. But, the e=
ngine=20
  bay in an old T-Bird is huge by comparison--and the engine not terribly l=
arger=20

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=