[Healeys] BN2 Trans Dowel Bolts

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN2 Trans Dowel Bolts
From: Michael MacLean via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 21:25:23 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_1032718_824345936.1616880323441

As I said in a post post to the list, I was looking for the dowel bolts to =
assemble (on center) the BN2 transmission to the engine backplate.=C2=A0 Cu=
rt Arndt was kind enough to furnish pictures of the correct dowel bolts use=
d in production of the 4 speed side shift BN2 transmission.=C2=A0 The only =
supplier of these original style bolts in the UK did not have any in stock,=
 but did list them on their web site.=C2=A0 They may be available in the fu=
ture I would venture to guess.=C2=A0 My only alternative was to ask the wis=
dom of the list.=C2=A0 David Nock was very helpful with this problem. He to=
ld me the later dowel bolts for BN4 type cars would work.=C2=A0 As luck wou=
ld have it, he sells them at a better price than you can find online.=C2=A0=
 I took the plunge and purchased the two dowel bolts required for centering=
 the transmission on installation and they arrived in the mail today along =
with nylon insert nuts and lock washers.=C2=A0 The lock washers play an imp=
ortant part in this.=C2=A0 When you measure the two thicknesses of the back=
plate and the transmission flange in the location of the two dowel bolts, y=
ou come up 1/16th of an inch (plus a little for the recess in the trans fla=
nge face) greater in length than the unthreaded shank of the dowel bolt.=C2=
=A0 The big lockwasher is thick enough to allow you to tighten the nyloc nu=
t all the way down.=C2=A0 The lock washer is thicker than 1/16th of an inch=
.=C2=A0 I understand the temptation to just use some 3/8ths bolts in all th=
e holes, but when I tried the dowel bolt in any of the other holes not inte=
nded for dowel bolts, it was a very loose fit.=C2=A0 So add to the fact tha=
t all 3/8ths bolts used might make it hard to center the transmission to av=
oid undue lateral pressure on the components inside the bell housing and th=
e transmission output shaft bearings.=C2=A0 This information only relates t=
o BN2 transmission installation as I have no experience with the BN1.=C2=A0=
 As an aside, I don't understand the round head with two flats of the origi=
nal dowel bolt.=C2=A0 The BN2 transmission has a recess in the flange where=
 the dowel bolt head is located,, but the hex head of the BN4 dowel bolt fi=
ts fine in this recess as if the recess is only the to mark the spot where =
the dowel bolt goes.=C2=A0 OK, class dismissed.Mike MacLean

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android
------=_Part_1032718_824345936.1616880323441

As I said in a post post to the list, I was looking for the dowel bolts to =
assemble (on center) the BN2 transmission to the engine backplate.&nbsp; Cu=
rt Arndt was kind enough to furnish pictures of the correct dowel bolts use=
d in production of the 4 speed side shift BN2 transmission.&nbsp; The only =
supplier of these original style bolts in the UK did not have any in stock,=
 but did list them on their web site.&nbsp; They may be available in the fu=
ture I would venture to guess.&nbsp; My only alternative was to ask the wis=
dom of the list.&nbsp; David Nock was very helpful with this problem. He to=
ld me the later dowel bolts for BN4 type cars would work.&nbsp; As luck wou=
ld have it, he sells them at a better price than you can find online.&nbsp;=
 I took the plunge and purchased the two dowel bolts required for centering=
 the transmission on installation and they arrived in the mail today along =
with nylon insert nuts and lock washers.&nbsp; The lock washers play an imp=
ortant part in this.&nbsp; When you measure the two thicknesses of the back=
plate and the transmission flange in the location of the two dowel bolts, y=
ou come up 1/16th of an inch (plus a little for the recess in the trans fla=
nge face) greater in length than the unthreaded shank of the dowel bolt.&nb=
sp; The big lockwasher is thick enough to allow you to tighten the nyloc nu=
t all the way down.&nbsp; The lock washer is thicker than 1/16th of an inch=
.&nbsp; I understand the temptation to just use some 3/8ths bolts in all th=
e holes, but when I tried the dowel bolt in any of the other holes not inte=
nded for dowel bolts, it was a very loose fit.&nbsp; So add to the fact tha=
t all 3/8ths bolts used might make it hard to center the transmission to av=
oid undue lateral pressure on the components inside the bell housing and th=
e transmission output shaft bearings.&nbsp; This information only relates t=
o BN2 transmission installation as I have no experience with the BN1.&nbsp;=
 As an aside, I don't understand the round head with two flats of the origi=
nal dowel bolt.&nbsp; The BN2 transmission has a recess in the flange where=
 the dowel bolt head is located,, but the hex head of the BN4 dowel bolt fi=
ts fine in this recess as if the recess is only the to mark the spot where =
the dowel bolt goes.&nbsp; OK, class dismissed.<div id=3D"yMail_cursorEleme=
ntTracker_1616879791894">Mike MacLean<br><br><div id=3D"ymail_android_signa=
ture"><a id=3D"ymail_android_signature_link" href=3D"https://go.onelink.me/=
107872968?pid=3DInProduct&amp;c=3DGlobal_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__=
AndroidUsers&amp;af_wl=3Dym&amp;af_sub1=3DInternal&amp;af_sub2=3DGlobal_YGr=
owth&amp;af_sub3=3DEmailSignature">Sent from AT&amp;T Yahoo Mail on Android=
------=_Part_1032718_824345936.1616880323441--

--===============6007090737163264552==