Re: [Healeys] Overdrive inhibitor switch BN1

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive inhibitor switch BN1
From: Roger Grace via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:23:54 -0700
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000df20d805c83093f5

What is a Varsol leak test ? !
rg

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 7:15 AM Michael Salter via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> On the BN1 gearbox the overdrive inhibitor switch is immersed in oil and
> is frequently a source of leakage.  The original switch was part # 2H2272
> which changed up to 11G3062. The Lucas # for that switch is 31077 and these
> are screw terminal switches.
> These switches incorporate an "O" ring seal on the plunger to stop oil
> leaking through the switch.  After 60 years the "O" rings tend to leak
> (appalling quality) and it becomes necessary to  change the switch, as
> replacing the "O" ring involves disassembling the switch and usually
> doesn't work.
> The original Lucas 31077 switches are of course NLA.
> Lucas now supplies a Lucar terminal switch as a replacement.
> In later applications the "O" ring seal in not required as the switch is
> no longer immersed in oil, although on the side shift boxes it is subjected
> to oil splash.
> I have installed a new Lucas switch on a BN1 gearbox but during a Varsol
> leak test it leaks significantly and I'm suspicious that it has no oil
> seal.
> I'm awaiting the delivery of a replacement but was wondering if anyone
> else has had success with the currently available switch in a BN1 box.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/roggrace@telus.net

--000000000000df20d805c83093f5

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 7:15 AM Michael Salter via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:healeys@autox.team.net">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br></di=
v><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;borde=
r-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"auto">On th=
e BN1 gearbox the overdrive inhibitor switch is immersed in oil and is freq=
uently a source of leakage.=C2=A0 The original switch was part # 2H2272 whi=
ch changed up to 11G3062. The Lucas # for that switch is 31077 and these ar=
e screw terminal switches.<div dir=3D"auto">These switches incorporate an &=
quot;O&quot; ring seal on the plunger to stop oil leaking through the switc=
h.=C2=A0 After 60 years the &quot;O&quot; rings tend to leak (appalling qua=
lity) and it becomes necessary to=C2=A0 change the switch, as replacing the=
 &quot;O&quot; ring involves disassembling the switch and usually doesn&#39=
;t work.</div><div dir=3D"auto">The original Lucas 31077 switches are of co=
urse NLA.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">Lucas now supplies a Lucar terminal =
switch as a replacement.</div><div dir=3D"auto">In later applications the &=
quot;O&quot; ring seal in not required as the switch is no longer immersed =
in oil, although on the side shift boxes it is subjected to oil splash.</di=
v><div dir=3D"auto">I have installed a new Lucas switch on a BN1 gearbox bu=
t during a Varsol leak test it leaks significantly and I&#39;m suspicious t=
hat it has no oil seal.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">I&#39;m awaiting the d=
elivery of a replacement but was wondering if anyone else has had success w=
ith the currently available switch in a BN1 box.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=