Re: [Healeys] Overdrive inhibitor switch BN1

To: "'john harper'" <ah100tech@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive inhibitor switch BN1
From: Henry G Leach via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 16:58:37 +0000 EXjboJEMThNp+T7kCU1JD6v+nMp94zNLQq21BqqSkImhmezjvyEftU+X6YDW5F8+wOC4swzVdm0G2L3S+8MuWEZWOt2ubf4/j6DyDcqBlIigPyhazYRkUKbf eonQWttsiUGrybsxN/Yx4A==
Cc: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--=_ed08a919bf15871a56390edf3adc8c9a

Guys, I'm afraid that if you want the original screw terminal switch=0Ay=
ou just have to live with some minor leakage. I did use a minute=0Aamoun=
t of Permatec "The right stuff" in those areas around the switch=0Abut i=
t still gives a wet finger. So, all the boxes that I did have a=0A"wet s=
witch". I even found some replacement units (very rare) which=0Aalso lea=
ked. Presently there is one on ebay for $45.=0AThe fact that you were ab=
le to replace the o-ring is just amazing,=0AJohn. Such persistence! I wo=
uld rather have the original screw=0Aterminals, than a dry Lucar switch.=
 But some of my customers were not=0Aso fussy. I hated to modify that ha=
rness! Then too, they put the unit=0Aat the bottom of the gearbox where=
 it receives the most pressure, and=0Ais prone to being hit by debris, H=
ank, healeyhelper.com=0A=0A=09-----------------------------------------F=
rom: "john harper" =0ATo: "Michael Salter"=0ACc: "healeys@autox.team.net=
"=0ASent: Wednesday July 28 2021 8:15:49AM=0ASubject: Re: [Healeys] Over=
drive inhibitor switch BN1=0A=0A Mike =0A I have been successful in repl=
acing the 'O' ring but I had a problem=0Agetting the correct size and be=
ing oil resistant. =0A I say successful but this was only about 4 years=
 ago so it may not=0Alast as long as the original. Time will tell! =0A B=
est regards  =0A On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 15:15, Michael Salter via Healey=
s  wrote:=0A  On the BN1 gearbox the overdrive inhibitor switch is immer=
sed in oil=0Aand is frequently a source of leakage. The original switch=
 was part #=0A2H2272 which changed up to 11G3062. The Lucas # for that s=
witch is=0A31077 and these are screw terminal switches. These switches=
=0Aincorporate an "O" ring seal on the plunger to stop oil leaking=0Athr=
ough the switch. After 60 years the "O" rings tend to leak=0A(appalling=
 quality) and it becomes necessary to change the switch, as=0Areplacing=
 the "O" ring involves disassembling the switch and usually=0Adoesn't wo=
rk. The original Lucas 31077 switches are of course NLA. =0ALucas now su=
pplies a Lucar terminal switch as a replacement. In later=0Aapplications=
 the "O" ring seal in not required as the switch is no=0Alonger immersed=
 in oil, although on the side shift boxes it is=0Asubjected to oil splas=
h. I have installed a new Lucas switch on a BN1=0Agearbox but during a V=
arsol leak test it leaks significantly and I'm=0Asuspicious that it has=
 no oil seal.  I'm awaiting the delivery of a=0Areplacement but was wond=
ering if anyone else has had success with the=0Acurrently available swit=
ch in a BN1 box. =0A M  _______________________________________________=
=0A Support Team.Net  [1]http://www.team.net/donate.html [2]=0A Suggeste=
d annual donation $12.75=0A=0A Archive:  [3]http://www.team.net/pipermai=
l/healeys [4] =0A[5]http://autox.team.net/archive [6]=0A=0AHealeys@autox=
/ah100tech@gmail.com=0A[10]=0A=0A  =0A=0ALinks:=0A------=0A[1] http://ww=
w.team.net/donate.html=0A[2] http://www.team.net/donate.html=0A[3] http:=
//www.team.net/pipermail/healeys=0A[4] http://www.team.net/pipermail/hea=
leys=0A[5] http://autox.team.net/archive=0A[6] http://autox.team.net/arc=
an/options/healeys/ah100tech@gmail.com=0A[10] http://autox.team.net/mail=
man/options/healeys/ah100tech@gmail.com=0A

--=_ed08a919bf15871a56390edf3adc8c9a

l switch you just have to live with some minor leakage. I did use a minu=
te amount of Permatec "The right stuff" in those areas around the switch=
 but it still gives a wet finger. So, all the boxes that I did have a "w=
et switch". I even found some replacement units (very rare) which also l=
ct that you were able to replace the o-ring is just amazing, John. Such=
 persistence! I would rather have the original screw terminals, than a d=
ry Lucar switch.&nbsp; But some of my customers were not so fussy. I hat=
ed to modify that harness! Then too, they put the unit at the bottom of=
 the gearbox where it receives the most pressure, and is prone to being=
 hit by debris, Hank, healeyhelper.com<br><br><div class=3D"reply-new-si=
hn harper" <ah100tech@gmail.com><br>To: "Michael Salter"<br>Cc: "healeys=
@autox.team.net"<br>Sent: Wednesday July 28 2021 8:15:49AM<br>Subject: R=
 ring but I had a=0Aproblem getting the correct size and being oil resis=
 only about 4 years&nbsp;ago=0Aso it may not last as long as the origina=
/div>=0A<br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">=0A<div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmai=
l_attr">On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 at 15:15,=0AMichael Salter via Healeys &lt;<=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px .8ex;border-left:1px solid=
 rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex;">=0A<div>On the BN1 gearbox the over=
drive inhibitor switch=0Ais immersed in oil and is frequently a source o=
f leakage.&nbsp; The=0Aoriginal switch was part # 2H2272 which changed u=
p to 11G3062. The=0ALucas # for that switch is 31077 and these are screw=
 terminal=0Aswitches.=0A<div>These switches incorporate an "O" ring seal=
 on the=0Aplunger to stop oil leaking through the switch.&nbsp; After 60=
=0Ayears the "O" rings tend to leak (appalling quality) and it becomes=
=0Anecessary to&nbsp; change the switch, as replacing the "O" ring=0Ainv=
olves disassembling the switch and usually doesn't work.</div>=0A<div>Th=
e original Lucas 31077 switches are of course=0ANLA.&nbsp;</div>=0A<div>=
Lucas now supplies a Lucar terminal switch as a=0Areplacement.</div>=0A<=
div>In later applications the "O" ring seal in not=0Arequired as the swi=
tch is no longer immersed in oil, although on=0Athe side shift boxes it=
 is subjected to oil splash.</div>=0A<div>I have installed a new Lucas s=
witch on a BN1=0Agearbox but during a Varsol leak test it leaks signific=
antly and=0AI'm suspicious that it has no oil seal.&nbsp;</div>=0A<div>I=
'm awaiting the delivery of a replacement but was=0Awondering if anyone=
 else has had success with the currently=0Aavailable switch in a BN1 box=
___________________________<br>=0ASupport Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www=
.team.net/donate.html"></a><a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>h=
ttp://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>=0ASuggested annual donation&nbsp;=
 $12.75<br><br>=0AArchive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/heal=