Re: [Healeys] Clutch plate

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Clutch plate
From: Bob Spidell via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 20:55:39 -0700

--------------kGWZ0h657wF0qq0qG00rKqcj

re: "Would this happen if the clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel?"

I think if it was just the clutch disk stuck to flywheel you'd still get
at least some movement of the pedal. Early cars used coil springs in the
cover plate to hold the disk firm to the flywheel, and later cars used
diaphragm 'springs.' I think with either you'd at least be able to move
the pedal until the springs reached their limit of travel (or you left
leg reached its limit of strength).

It's a long shot SWAG, but since the car has sat for a long time it's
conceivable the fluid in the line has gelled and/or crystallized to the
point it prevents flow to the slave cylinder (I have had BF gell up).
I'm not sure you can move the release bearing fork much by hand, though
I haven't tried; those are some strong springs in the cover plate.

Bob

On 11/6/2021 7:52 PM, Don via Healeys wrote:
> Sorry I didnâ??t finish my story about the fixes Iâ??ve done so far . When
> I first got the car and I tried to push the clutch pedal it wouldnâ??t
> move.  After removing the carbs , which Iâ??m going to rebuild I was
> able to access the clutch master cylinder. After removing the lines to
> the master cylinder i was able to push the pedal to the floor . Iâ??m
> replacing the lines to both the clutch and brake master cylinder. Iâ??m
> replacing both master cylinders . Iâ??m replacing the hydraulic fluid
> tank as it leaks. When I got under the car and looked at the clutch
> slave cylinder, which Iâ??m replacing I canâ??t move the clutch fork. I
> canâ??t budge it , I canâ??t move the piston rod . Iâ??m going to finish
> rebuilding, replacing everything in both the clutch and brake
> hydraulics system. Iâ??m just Puzzled as to why wonâ??t move . Would this
> happen if the clutch disc was stuck to the flywheel?  I may answer my
> own question the farther I get into the rebuild. I donâ??t want to need
> to replace the clutch.
>          Don
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 6, 2021, at 10:08 PM, gradea1@charter.net wrote:
>>
>> Twelve years could have built up some "goo" in the clutch master
>> cylinder and prevent it from moving the piston. As Perry says, could
>> also be the same issue in the slave. However, the clutch is hydraulic
>> and the pedal does not move any mechanics (other than the piston rod)
>> so it can't be mechanically hung up. The clutch disc is another issue
>> which may show up later, and I would wonder if the brakes are
>> functioning? Moisture really plays havoc with hydraulics especially
>> if the car is not in a conditioned space.
>>
>> This is a good time to change all the fluid, replace hoses, rebuild
>> or replace cylinders-fun stuff. Hank

  <head>
  </head>
    re: "Would this happen if the clutch disc was stuck to the
    flywheel?"<br>
    I think if it was just the clutch disk stuck to flywheel you'd still
    get at least some movement of the pedal. Early cars used coil
    springs in the cover plate to hold the disk firm to the flywheel,
    and later cars used diaphragm 'springs.' I think with either you'd
    at least be able to move the pedal until the springs reached their
    limit of travel (or you left leg reached its limit of strength). <br>
    It's a long shot SWAG, but since the car has sat for a long time
    it's conceivable the fluid in the line has gelled and/or
    crystallized to the point it prevents flow to the slave cylinder (I
    have had BF gell up). I'm not sure you can move the release bearing
    fork much by hand, though I haven't tried; those are some strong
    springs in the cover plate.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:A66E022F-6771-4678-AE32-807FB6B7556A@yahoo.com">
[...]
            <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:gradea1@charter.net";>gradea1@charter.net</a> wrote:<br>
            the clutch master cylinder and prevent it from moving the
            piston. As Perry says, could also be the same issue in the
            slave. However, the clutch is hydraulic and the pedal does
            not move any mechanics (other than the piston rod) so it
            can't be mechanically hung up. The clutch disc is another
            issue which may show up later, and I would wonder if the
            brakes are functioning? Moisture really plays havoc with
            hydraulics especially if the car is not in a conditioned
            space.
              hoses, rebuild or replace cylinders-fun stuff. Hank<br>
                Maybe the slave cylinder is locked up. Pull the pin at
                the slave
                and see if the clutch pedal will move.<br>
                P<br>
                Sent from my iPhone<br>
                &gt; On Nov 6, 2021, at 7:36 PM, Don Day via Healeys
                <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
wrote:<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; Hi List<br>
                &gt; If a 65 1/2 BJ8Healey has been sitting for over 12
                years ,
                Allegedly in a garage and Iâ??m thinking the clutch plate
                could be
                stuck to the flywheel, canâ??t push clutch pedal in , can
                it be freed
                up .<br>
                &gt; Thanks Don<br>
                &gt;<br>