Young blood

To: "Land-speed@autox.team.n" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Young blood
From: "Rose & Terry Hunt" <hunt@Kuentos.guam.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:00:57 +1000
A couple of days ago the question was asked whether "landspeed racing" should
seek out generation X,ers and I answered with a simple "NO".  This question
resulted in several responses , all of which I agreed with. I stand by my NO
to active recruiting of the group discussed or ANY group. As far as I can tell
there is no shortage of landspeed racers. The number of entries seems to be
increasing and with more focus from Hot Rod magazine, Speed Vision, Discovery
Channel, etc., I think the sport will continue to grow. Most of us realize
that there are limits to the number of entries that can be accommodated.
Already, the volunteers which make this thing operate are overworked.and the
lines to run can be long.  If someone thinks they might want to get into this,
a trip to B/V is in order. If they still want to participate, then fine, no
matter who they are. I think new people will find a level of technology to
suit there need. Yes, there is a lot of old equipment from a  another era.
There is old time values and behavior, also. Quaint things like helping one
another. Good manners. Trust, like when leaving your equipment out in the
open. Loaning tools with the certainty that they will be returned. And a
social atmosphere  not often found in competitive motorsports. Also a
willingness by veterans to discuss their race vehicle and the sport with those
interested. I hope the character of landspeed racing will not substantially
change. Newcomers are welcome. Even generation x,ers--at least those with good
manners!