Re: Young Blood

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Young Blood
From: Rick Hammond <r.hammond@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:51:51 -0500
Dick J wrote:

> --- glen barrett <speedtimer@charter.net> wrote:
> > The youth of today will never have the
> > experience of doing it from the
> > ground up. Building the true hot rod from junk
> > yard parts
>
> Some will.  I was amazed when my 16 year old
> daughter (yes the one who drove her first NHRA
> drag race four days after her birthday earlier
> this month) came home from school and wanted to
> know if I would consider letting her sell her
> high-wing, Japanese DOHC four cylinder pocket
> rocket that I thought she loved so much.
> "What would you drive and race?" I asked her.
> She told me she wanted to get a mid eighties
> short wide bed Chevy or GMC and drop in a small
> block.  She pointed out that I had spare headers,
> spare manifolds, spare cams, and spare
> carburetors.  She said she would have to spring
> for some Flowmasters and maybe a set of five
> spoke mags, but that she thought it would be a
> much "cooler" ride. She also commented that it
> would run in a better class at the drags, and she
> could also run it at Maxton.
> I asked her when she thought I'd get time to drop
> in a small block.  Her answer was that I wouldn't
> have to worry about it.  She was sure that she
> and mom could do it.  I was ready to burst out
> laughing, but then I remembered that she and mom
> put the transmission in my flathead F-1 pickup
> while I was in bed after back surgery earlier
> this year.  Yup.  She and mom could do it.  Right
> now, I'm looking for a mid-eighties wide bed Chev
> or GMC, and I'm sure that there's at least one
> generation Xer who's going to build it the way I
> did forty years ago!

Dick,
One more reason I wish I was 17 again.. ;-)
Good to hear there is hope for the future.  The Ducati owners' club has a
similar
mix of people and generations.  You will see hi-tech 120hp 8-valvers plus old
bevel twin everyday riders and sixties singles at the track weekends.  Kids that
were in strollers cooing at the roar of an open megaphone are out there on their
bikes now.
Of course the old farts will always be the glue that holds it all together ;-)
Cheers,
Rick