Re: Traction control

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Traction control
From: "John Burk" <joyseydevil@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:52:18 -0500
In 1971 we had an electronic wheel spin limiter (what we called it then) on my
A fuel dragster - It compared front and rear tire surface speeds and killed
the mag when it sensed too much slip - When we were at the Summer Nationals
NHRA took a picture of it and it appeared in National Dragster with the
caption "what people won't do to lower ets" - There were no rules regarding
this then - We later learned 1971 Buicks had an option called Maxtrak which
worked exactly like our wheel spin limiter - Our high hopes were foiled partly
by tire distortion making it hard to measure surface speed  and partly by hemi
and clutch flite problems .