Traction control

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Traction control
From: "The Weldons" <2weldons@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:17:57 -0800
List-- my thoughts on traction control--
1.  I like to follow the rules until they're changed.  If you really need to
win by cheating in LSR events you should rethink your racing program and maybe
compete someware else where "winning isn't everything; it's the only thing".
2.  I think we should eventually legalize traction control.  But first I'd
like to see the following:
    --Serious development work via approved trial applications at the salt.
    --Maturing of the technology.  This will be a long time in coming if Davis
is the only source.  Of course they have a right to make money off their
patented idea.
    --Some of us figure out how it's done and duplicate it or go Davis one
better. No one should infringe Davis' patents.  But my guess (I haven't looked
at their patent yet) is their patent is weak or they wouldn't be so secretive
about it.  But there is no infringement if you build & use it yourself and
don't use it to make money.
3.  I think the safety advantages will prove to outweigh the performance gains
that could otherwise have a dampening effect on competition.
4.  I believe there will be some classes where traction control will be more
of an advantage than in other classes.  One of us with connections to the
SCTA/BNI technical committees ought to research and compile data on actual
spin incidents and accidents on the Salt (and maybe El Mirage) to find common
threads.
5.  The only realistic way to do traction control is via the ignition or
(possibly electronic fuel injection).  You can't have any mechanical
components.  Their servo response is too slow.  Even electronics can be too
slow for extreme situations. That includes the driver (an electromechanical
device).  However, if the driver has to be in the loop you need a combination
of well designed driver display and control and training via a computer
simulator. Might be workable for a well built car that's not too fast or too
easy to spin.
6.  You could get away from rear wheel sensors by sensing chassis vibration
modes with an accelerometer that picks up the changing fundamental frequencies
from each wheel through FFT processing. Software would process the vibration
mode info in a decision making process.  My knowledge of the practicalities of
doing it this way is low.  I expect it would be a real "tour de force" in
servo engineering.  (Davis--I said it here--if Autox.team.net posts it, it's
now in the public domain)

Ed Weldon