Piston Slap ? Non LSR

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston Slap ? Non LSR
From: "bennevl" <bennevl@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:15:34 -0500
I realize this isn't LSR related, but with all the truck owners on the list
thought someone else might have experienced this.

Ok its winter time here and I am have been haunted by a problem with my
truck again. Problem surfaced last winter.
2000 Chevrolet 5.3 liter 62,000 miles
Cold mourning below 50 degrees

Engine startup sounds like a diesel  or a bad rod knock definitely too
severe to be valve train. Noise seems to be in lower section of motor.
Noise goes away after about a minute or two depending on temperature.

Usually allow 5 to 10 minutes for warm up   ( Hate to scrape windows)

Driving: Coolant temp less than 210 degrees as long as RPMs are below 2500
no knocking noise. Above that the noise resembles a spun rod bearing. Oil
pressure is around 55 lbs. Idle pressure 40 lbs

Coolant temp at 210 degrees (nominal)  Everything's normal.

No abnormal oil consumption, less than 1/2 quart between oil changes every
4000 miles.

Ok small town dealership says this is normal in this variety of engine. Have
done a little searching on the net and found owners ( Camaro, Firebird, SUV,
and truck) with same variety engine with same complaint all are being told
its piston slap not to worry by the dealers.

Do I need to worry and push for something to be done or am I overly
paranoid?

Leaving for a few months and don't want to leave girl friend stranded while
I am gone! Doesn't make for a good home coming!

Bill